lpr5184

Guarneri 4 String Fiddle...

On 5/26/2019 at 9:14 AM, lpr5184 said:

The sun disappeared for two days so I strung up the fiddle in the white to check for any frequency issues. I found none. Tone is strong and even.

Back in the sun today...

002.JPG

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR     WOW! DUDE!

Hate to start a thread and not finish it up.

This is a great sounding fiddle, IMO with no issues to iron out. I look forward to building many more of these. 

005.thumb.JPG.d8981ef40e2380a5b291f25b9d6b6c05.JPG

002.JPG

On 6/12/2019 at 1:33 PM, Emilg said:

Beautiful clean work :)  .. do you have a sound sample?

Sorry, I'm not a great player...no sound sample yet.

6 hours ago, Anthony Panke said:

Looks great! 

Why is the varnish so pale?

bridge, fittings etc look good 

well done

Thanks. The varnish isn't finished yet... I don't mean to imply the fiddle is finished, just this thread. I may not get back to it now that summer is in full swing. Too many commitments with only a few months to get things done around the homestead. My making is done in the long winter months that we have.

This fiddle still needs more varnish and then the set up. At this time the woodwork and fingerboard and bridge is finished enough to play and check for any issues. I'm liking this fiddle a lot. Seems like a good model to develop into a 5 string. I've also had very good results with the Cannone models in the past. Don't know why but I prefer the sound of these DG's more than any of the Strad models that I've made....but... I make mine for traditional fiddlers and not classical players.

On 6/13/2019 at 2:49 AM, Anthony Panke said:

Why is the varnish so pale?

Sun is out today...here is one thin coat of Joe's arancione with a touch of brown added. Joe's Greek Pitch varnishes are superb and quickly develop beautiful transparent color. So far I have added zero pigments and probably will not have to.

001.thumb.JPG.660b207c221b950ed757f52f1ed753b7.JPG

Here is coat two of the same varnish today!...that's two coats in one day of Joe's stuff...a little less pale Anthony? FWIW...if the ground is too yellow the transition to orange will be too intense. Many things to learn when it comes to varnishing a violin as you may have already discovered...To quote Joe Robson..."Think thin coats"

The next coat will be some brown with a touch of Nunzio's red madder rosinate. That should get it in the ball park.

005.JPG

Yeah, I learnt a lot doing that, and afterwards patted on very thin coats, which dried so much quicker.

The varnish looks a lot better with that extra coat on,I think it’ll be perfect with the brown/red layer. I just didn’t know if you were finished with varnishing or not.

really neat work!