Sign in to follow this  
Ernest Martel

Guarneri 4 String Fiddle...

19 hours ago, catnip said:

Very clean work...  your attention to detail is inspiring.

Thanks John,

I recently saw a fellow MNetter's work and believe me my work does'nt come close. This person does not wish me to post photos of their work and it has certainly raised the bar for me. Doubt I'll ever reach that level.

As Davide has said,...sharp tools...Jerry P,...practice...I'll add,...patience.

MN continues to be a valuable resource to many.  Thanks to those who contribute their time and knowledge and the admin folks who keep the show on the road.

3 hours ago, lpr5184 said:

Thanks Anthony,

The f holes are not really the same.... just a modern rendition.

I have a thing for cleanly cut del gesu f holes. 

Only if they have a lot of flair, which is why I find these great. 

I keep on trying but they never end up right, always off in some way

37 minutes ago, lpr5184 said:

Doubt I'll ever reach that level.

Don’t doubt, if you think enough about what you’re doing, and spend enough time practicing you can reach any level. 

Its a lot better than many other peoples work i can think of. That said, non of that work is on mn, there are high standards here

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 8:06 AM, Jim Bress said:

Looks great!  Are you going to stick with the models scroll or some other Guarneri(ish) variant?

Thanks. Even though I used the Vieuxtemps outline I'm not trying to copy anything about it. I did make a new scroll template for this model which is not like the original, just a scroll I happen to like. But on this one I'm re-using a scroll that came off one of my early fiddles that I was not happy with. I think I carved it about 7 or 8 years ago and it has been sitting on a shelf since then. I figured I'd use it on this first model. It's not a great job of carving so I guess that fits the Guarneri(ish) variant...:) 

1 hour ago, Jim Bress said:

...I like the bit longer corners than I’m used to seeing on GDG models. 

Me too,....I leave the corners long and then finish them and the edges once the box is closed. 

003.JPG

002.JPG

004.JPG

14 minutes ago, lpr5184 said:

Me too,....I leave the corners long and then finish them and the edges once the box is closed. 

003.JPG

002.JPG

004.JPG

How it should be done.

beautiful work!

2 hours ago, Anthony Panke said:

How it should be done.

beautiful work!

Too kind, Thanks...it's definitely time consuming, the way I do it. With files that is instead of a knife.

15 hours ago, lpr5184 said:

Re-using an old neck...

001.thumb.JPG.63069c74307db6a8aad7386e1c829ed8.JPG

That can of pop doesn't give you the jitters while you work? I never drink pop before or during lutherie. But I think I'm just sensitive to the stuff!

The neck that I'm re-using needs a 2mm rear shim added to make contact with the button...

Is it best to use a quarter sawn piece and orient the grain the same as the neck or use a slab sawn piece which orients the grain the opposite way? Which way is strongest? I'm sure this is common knowledge to those who do a lot of neck resets. 

1 minute ago, lpr5184 said:

The neck that I'm re-using needs a 2mm rear shim added to make contact with the button...

Is it best to use a quarter sawn piece and orient the grain the same as the neck or use a slap sawn piece whichs orients the grain the opposite way? Which way is strongest? I'm sure this is common knowledge to those who do a lot of neck resets.

Don’t know about strength but I would always follow the cut of the wood, ideally with an offcut from the neck block.