Sign in to follow this  
chanot

goldbrokat E strings types - choices

I am a retired physician; amateur maker and player with 3 violins and one viola I created primarily in 1980s and 90s..could use brighter E string on one and note that Goldbrokat E's have found favor. Were these prominent players  using Goldbrokats /Lenzner plain steel or brassed steel or the new 24 karat gold..I thought I heard that  some experts were using one that was  Tin Plated.(apparently unavailble now).are any less susceptible to whistle ?

If you want to try tin, there's a Dominant tin-plated carbon-steel E that's a wonderful string, but I wouldn't call it bright--more like halfway towards gold.

I think what you need is possibly something like a Westminster, if you want to attack this problem with strings. 

As far as I know, the Goldbrokat of old was a simple steel string, and those are still available, of course.

I grew up, thinking of Goldbrokat as dirt cheap DDR strings. When I opened my own shop in the 80’s (at a time when people still bought strings from their violin maker) I was surprised that all the Russian (and those who had studied there) customers pestered me to stock them. They seemed to me to be a fairly „low tech“ bit of steel wire, but I soon realised that they were much better than, for instance, Dominant E stings, so that my Standard „set up“ for years became Dominant G D A and a Goldbrokat E, to the Point that Thomastik started offering me Dominant as a whole set at a Discount.

Thomastik Dominant strings are the top rating & best selling

particularly suitable for old/vintage violin

Dominant strings "G,D,A" are the best for the violin except E isn't working as you need 

for "E" string you can tray one of two different brands :

1.   Goldbrokat "E"

2. jargar strings "E" medium gauge 

======================================================================

there are two interesting articles :

1.  (Personal Review of Strings) by the violinist Christian Vachon

https://www.violinist.com/discussion/archive/6346/

-------------------------

2. (Famous Violinist String Brand Choices) 

https://www.violin-strings.com/string_faq/famous-violinsts-string-brand-choices/ 

========================================================================

I use the Goldbrokat medium E on most violins, but I keep the heavy gauge in stock for aggressive players. It’s the cheapest string but it really sounds great. I also use the Gold Label E for some violins.

When I started at a current employer’s shop, one of my first requests was to get a good assortment of E strings, since they only carried the Gold Label. Since then we’ve almost exclusively sold Goldbrokat and Gold Label. The customers haven’t shown any desire to try anything else like Oliv, Westminster, or Hill, all of which are still sitting in the drawer!

As far as tin plating, I haven’t really bothered with it. I have one customer that always uses the Warchal Amber non-whistling E with the spiral, but I don’t recommend strings like this, as I find them to be gimmicky and unnecessary expensive. 

Goldbrokat are my choice of E and I use both medium and heavy. They are cheap enough to change out once a month and new sounds so good and a joy to play on. Never had much of a whistle problem. Interested in trying the new gold plated. Sometines use the PI Platinum E but they are so expensive and not really convinced that it sounds any better than this two dollar Lenzner string.

Out of curiosity I tried the Peter infield pi e.  It is extremely good sounding. I had been using Jargar forte but I thought the Pi string added more interest to the sound.  I wouldn’t say it is louder or brighter.  Nice string I thought

I've been using the Goldbrokat as a standard for a while.  On both fiddle and classical set ups. I like them a lot and think that they enhance the whole string set. 

2 hours ago, Mike Spencer said:

I've been using the Goldbrokat as a standard for a while.  On both fiddle and classical set ups. I like them a lot and think that they enhance the whole string set. 

Agreed. I’ve had a few cases where customers thought their violins were uneven, and just switching to the Goldbrokat ironed out all four strings,  not just the E. 

5 hours ago, The Violin Beautiful said:

As far as tin plating, I haven’t really bothered with it. I have one customer that always uses the Warchal Amber non-whistling E with the spiral, but I don’t recommend strings like this, as I find them to be gimmicky and unnecessary expensive. 

Actually, the Gold Label E is tin-plated, according to the Pirastro website: https://www.pirastro.com/public_pirastro/pages/en/E-Strings/

The Warchal Amber E is worth the money for instruments that need a non-whistling E string; it is also very long lasting. It's also about $8, which I wouldn't say is very expensive, especially considering its longevity.

My favorites are the Jargar Forte E and Goldbrokat heavy-gauge E, though. I also tried all the newer Goldbrokat offerings ("premium steel", gold-plated, and brass-plated) but I like the original best. The extra-heavy Goldbrokat E (0.28 mm) is also an interesting choice; I've heard that Joshua Bell is using it on the Gibson ex-Huberman these days (with a Jargar Superior set).

Thanks for the interesting Pirastro chart. I note with amusement that all of their E strings show better than excellent response and some variety of powerful. Lake Wobegon, where all the E strings are louder and more responsive. One wonders, compared with what? :-)

I only ever use a Goldbrokat E. Even I buy a full set of the most expensive strings of any brand I just chuck the E in the bin and put a Goldbrokat on. I keep lots of them in all the different gauges.

Good to know about the Gold Label—I’d always heard it called a plain steel E. 

I also find it interesting that the site suggests that the Evah E is different from the Gold Label. I was once told by a colleague that a Pirastro rep had said that all steel E strings were the same, just covered with a color thread that would match the rest of the set. They said there was just one steel E, one gold-steel E, one carbon steel E, just in different clothing. 

I wonder....

Last time I ordered Gold Brokat, I ordered 1000 of them :) that's how much I love them!!!! Except for that, ditto what Melvin said (oh, and they are totally gorgeous on my Rodolfo Romano, never knew I'd rate a semi-modern Italian violin so highly!)

Supposedly the Goldbrokat was Heifetz' E string. I sell a lot of them on that basis, anyway. It's my alternate string to the tin/carbon-steel Dominant I mentioned earlier. I know the idea of a Dominant E scares a lot of people and me, too, until the rep sent me a few to try. Now it's the shop fave on the instruments it works on. I does have an effect on the sound of all the other strings, though, and this can be good or bad.

The fiddle I'm using came with Doms + a plain Tonica E.  E seems very focused, while Goldbrokat seems big and broad and unbalancedly loud.  I might try a Dom plain E with it sometime.

You'd think that with the universal disdain that people seem to have for Dominant E strings, Thomastik would redesign them.