Sign in to follow this  
Mat Roop

shoulder rest

Some time ago I had heard/ seen a picture of a shoulder rest for acoustic violin that hooks over the shoulder or around the neck.

Can't find anything with google... Anyone know where I can see a picture of such a device?? brand? supplier?

Thanks, Mat

Going on memory, there's the Bon Musica which has a bit of a hook over the shoulder.  There's something more extreme along those lines which was being sold for electric violins.

For around the neck there's a soft product like a pair of weighted straps that you can put both over one shoulder or one around the neck, etc.  Sold through the maker's website.

Then there's the illustration of a device that clamps to the violin and has a metal hook going around the neck in some early 20th or late 19th c. book.  I have never seen a picture of an actual one.  Sorry I don't remember names or references for these.

NS Design made this adaptation of their "Balanced Shoulder Rest" for acoustic violins. The Balanced Shoulder Rest was originally created for NS Design electric violins. The acoustic adaptation seems to have been a marketing failure, and I'm not sure that they're still available.

https://www.electricviolinshop.com/ns-violin-acoustic-bsr.html

Also, Tracy Silverman stated in a recent video that "I'm working on one," regarding a self supporting device for acoustic violins. He has such a device for his electric violins, and though it appears overly complex to me, it seems to work well for him.

http://stringsmagazine.com/electric-violinist-tracy-silverman-on-building-his-dream-instruments/?utm_source=Strings&utm_campaign=b32f1b17d2-STN_Notes_09_09_169_6_2016_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_7811abf900-b32f1b17d2-184786833&mc_cid=b32f1b17d2&mc_eid=3f47fb77cc

Personally, I think it's time for someone to solve this problem. There's just no escaping the fact that clamping the violin between one's chin and shoulder is an unnatural way to hold it.

7 minutes ago, MarkBouquet clearsky said:

There's just no escaping the fact that clamping the violin between one's chin and shoulder is an unnatural way to hold it.

The only natural way to hold it is no shoulder rest, no chin rest, use 3rd position as "home", have gigantic hands, and don't play music that goes above 3rd position.

24 minutes ago, MarkBouquet clearsky said:

Personally, I think it's time for someone to solve this problem. There's just no escaping the fact that clamping the violin between one's chin and shoulder is an unnatural way to hold

In my opinion, shoulder and chinrests only exacerbate the problem. Grasping, for lack of a better word, the violin between the neck and chin is like the clutch - you use it momentarily when you need to shift. Somewhere along the way, we collectively let our gearhead tendencies take over and lost the left hand/arm technique that was working perfectly fine. Yes, I am aware of developments in repertoire, and can get behind particular chinrest designs, but the shoulder rest is an implement of Satan that has caused real harm and enabled the degradation of tried and true technique.

....and I know a lot of old timers that fiddle with the violin just resting on their chest whilst they sit and jig with their feet. 

Thanks again... Mat

45 minutes ago, MarkBouquet clearsky said:

There's just no escaping the fact that clamping the violin between one's chin and shoulder is an unnatural way to hold it.

And another option:  many fine Indian players brace the instrument between the chest and the right foot.