Sign in to follow this  
kayjay

Bridge feet thickness

A friend has reminded me that this "free-bridge" tuning stuff sounds a lot like free-plate tuning. And you know I don't think much of that. In fact, it sounds even more ridiculous on bridges, if such a thing were possible.

I remember you saying that to me once before. But I still tune the plates, sides and neck as the instrument is being built. The fingerboard bridge and tailpieces can also be tuned to optimize the bowed string instrument. Its just a manner in which this tuning is done that differs. The end resualt is still a great sounding instrument.

I think bridge functions as a modulator that adds its own "colors" , modal vibrations, to the content of string vibrations. Adjusting the local stiffness of various part of the bridge will change the modal characteristics of the bridge, and therefore colors the string vibrations differently that been transmitted.

14 hours ago, Michael Darnton said:

Yes, Nathan, when I read the article I had several thoughts. One was that every cut seemed to lower the frequencies away from what I thought people had decided was ideal, so why would you do that. The other thought was that what he did doesn't relate much to how I cut a bridge, anyway. The final thought was that I seem to be doing fine without this information. :-) 

Reaching in to the cluttered and dusty recesses of my brain I am thinking that, for violins, any adjustments that increase the dominance of frequencies in the 3,000 to 6,000 Herz range would be beneficial. It would seem that thinning the structural web of the arms and legs would allow greater movement therefore favoring lower frequencies however if the greater movement was acting as a shock absorber reducing the strength of lower frequencies being transmitted to the top then that would make sense.

My question is: Is this what actually happens?