Sign in to follow this  

What are your opinions on this violin on eBay?

I recently found this violin when I was looking through eBay. I have been looking to upgrade from my average quality violin and get one that can last me for a long time and I thought that this was a good option. 

Is this violin a good value for the price?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PERFECT-COND-L-BISIACH-1923-italian-violin-4-4-violon-geige-violino/173870435788?_trkparms=aid%3D333200%26algo%3DCOMP.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20171012094517%26meid%3Ddbeb067822ec42b089748fd38b06ab12%26pid%3D100008%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D223462746432%26itm%3D173870435788&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219

Edited by 2019

Do you have any close violin shops?  My experience is that you will be happier with trying a violin first and finding one that sounds good to you. Plus, it should be all set up and properly adjusted.  It’s easy to buy one off eBay and it costs 200-300 dollars in adjustments just to make it play as it should. If that is your budget you should be able to find something that you like. 

This is a cheap German violin with a fake label no doubt put there by this well-known Ebay mountebank.

most violin shops would charge less for this violin and you would have the chance before buying it to establish whether it sounds like nails on a blackboard 

2 hours ago, martin swan said:

This is a cheap German violin with a fake label no doubt put there by this well-known Ebay mountebank.

most violin shops would charge less for this violin and you would have the chance before buying it to establish whether it sounds like nails on a blackboard 

Word of the week, “mountebank.”  I had not heard this used before.  

24 minutes ago, ClefLover said:

Really? It’s one of the less significant peaks in the Alps.

Once you see the words “hello, dear friends,” that’s your cue to say goodbye.

The price makes it clear they aren’t trying to fool anyone who can identify a Bisiach, but they are most likely targeting parents of intermediate players who want to upgrade but think shops are charging too much.

They were at least careful enough to call it  a “violin labeled Bisiach” in the description, which only makes a difference if you’re familiar with the auction phraseology. 

2 hours ago, martin swan said:

Mountebank or rapscallion ...

Heh, yes. You’re just the first person I’ve noticed use it, aside from Arthur Conan Doyle.  My hat goes off to you. :) 

On 4/19/2019 at 3:33 PM, 2019 said:

Is this violin a good value for the price?

IMHO, no.  :)

On 4/20/2019 at 12:52 PM, ClefLover said:

moun·te·bank
/ˈmoun(t)əˌbaNGk/
noun
noun: mountebank; plural noun: mountebanks
  1. a person who deceives others, especially in order to trick them out of their money; a charlatan.
    synonyms: swindler, charlatan, confidence trickster, confidence man, fraud, fraudster, impostor, trickster, racketeer, hoaxer, sharper, quack, rogue, villain, scoundrel; More
    informalcon man, shark, flimflammer, sharp;
    informaltwister;
    informalgrifter, bunco artist, chiseller;
    informalshicer, magsman, illywhacker;
    raredefalcator
    • historical
      a person who sold patent medicines in public places.
Origin
late 16th century: from Italian montambanco, from the imperative phrase monta in banco! ‘climb on the bench!’ (with allusion to the raised platform used to attract an audience).
Interesting that it originated in Italy about the time that the violin business took root.  Coincidence?  :ph34r::lol:

Oh, so that what a mountebank is! A magsman, illywhacker, defalcator, why didn't you say so in the first place. But they left out scumbag from the synonyms list. (?)

I'm no expert when it comes to the provenance of violins, but the Ebay violin mentioned certainly shows characteristics of a Bisiach violin featured in Henry Strobel's book Violin Making.

What puzzles me about some of the foregoing comments is why someone would go to the trouble of faking instruments like this. It looks well made, and if it is a recent fake it is extremely convincing.

This is a cheap German violin

Why is it that (unless they're by a Kloz or Leopold Widhalm) nice-looking German violins are pronounced "cheap" by a sort of reflex action ?

I never "got" that, & still don't.

Considering that a Leandro Bisiach in good condition sells for around £100k these days, you have to ask why a very experienced violin dealer (nearly 1000 sales on ebay alone) would sell one for a couple of thousand ...

But aside from that, there is really no resemblance to a genuine Bisiach, and every resemblance to a mass produced Markneukirchen violin.

Apart from being "the usual", one should puke whenever an ebay snake oil merchant starts with "Hello, dear friends. I’m very proud to offer you today a great full-size violin". What the *** makes him a "Dear friend"?

11 hours ago, A432 said:

Why is it that (unless they're by a Kloz or Leopold Widhalm) nice-looking German violins are pronounced "cheap" by a sort of reflex action ?

Had the listing been titled “nice-looking German violin” I don’t think there is much to argue aside from preference.  The irritation comes from the listing as-is.  BTW, everyone is a “dear friend” when you smoke too much ganja... or so I barely remember from my college days.  

14 hours ago, A432 said:

There are many well made and valuable german violins from Mittenwald, Markneukirchen, Berlin and other origins and all periods, but to separate the mass produced stuff (even if "nice-looking") from these they are called "cheap", "the usual" or "Dutzendware". Just within this category are existing big differences and grades, and some can be good working instruments for daily use. But to disguise them as something being worth a sum with several zeros more is causing a sort of reflex action.

4 hours ago, vathek said:

You buy his 'violins' and send him money, then you are his 'dear' friend.

It sounds so much better as a greeting than "Dear gullible nincompoops",  or even "Esteemed potential victims".   :ph34r::lol: