Sign in to follow this  
Berl Mendenhall

We've lost one of our most valued members

I have been missing him intensely since I was PM'ed by his family last night.  While he'd clued me in about things a long time back, he'd wanted it kept quiet, so I had to keep my usually widely-flapping mouth shut about it.  As he'd conveyed an impression of being on the mend in some of his PM's, the message last night stunned and saddened me indescribably.  Addie was not only one of my closest friends at MN, but a joyful source of humor, ideas, and useful interesting stuff.  Besides the template graphics and the historical references, he also had a genius for finding the most amazing smileys coffeescreen.gif.66c7c4454dd3c9c054ab1d0b2659ca97.gif  I feel that his presence enriched us all immeasurably.  Ave atque vale.

My deepest condolences to his family and friends. 

That is sad news, indeed.  All of his posts had a combination of passion for violin making, humor, intelligence and they often enriched the camaraderie of MN.   

Sad news indeed. I always enjoyed Addie's insight. He was kind and generous with his time. His strad artifacts drawing must have took him a good deal of time to prepare and remain one of the most valuable resources posed here on MN. He will be missed

When I visit the forum I tend to prioritize my reading based on the identity of the "latest post" author.

I have a list of "most respected", and one of "jeeze, I'd sure like to have a drink with him/her".

Addie was at the top of both lists.

Like Violadamore, I've known of Addies illness for quite a while. We were both battling cancer and PM'ed each other to check in. Addie and I had other things in common, I love old folk art and he was a very good artist. We both love old tools and old furniture. Sometimes we would talk and not even mention violins. I feel so sad this evening, what a loss.

It's amazing how the news of the sad loss of a person I never met has caused me sorrow …. that feeling says a lot about who Addie was, and his presence in this forum. My sincere condolences to his family and close friends. R I P Addie  :(

So sorry to hear this. I am too new to this forum so that I didnt have much exchanges with Addie in the past year. But I have looked into his many valuable contributions. Many condolences to his family. RIP

Very sad news, Addie was such a great model for all Maestronetters to follow. I always enjoyed his insights and generosity to the world of the violin. Although he is not here to continue posting, he leaves behind a legacy for us all to appreciate. 

My sincere condolences to his family. 

I miss his tag line, which I thought was the best: "Walking my sound post retriever."  I chuckled every time I saw that.  He was so generous, contributing hi sdrawings to everyone.  May his memory be a blessing. 

Grande Commendatore dell'Accademia Segreta di Maestronet has passed away. 

His erudition, intelligence and humor will be missed, but will remain in the memory. 

Bloody hell I loved his input and dedication. If there is a God then, he will be a happier Creator today.

A talent like he had is far above understanding and the dedication of the lad is far beyond my capabilities.

I hope he thumps Tony Strad. Lovely lad. I hate this dying. Not fair at all.

xxx I'm going to play something on me violin.

Pity collectors of old wood and such don't give their cash to CR.

Bye for now Luv