Sign in to follow this  
lpr5184

Tool Organizer Racks....

Recommended Posts

I'm slowly selling off many of the instrument making tools I have accumulated and don't use. I'd like to keep only the minimum tools needed and build a rack for storing them.  It would be great to see how others store there tools. Right now I store most on shelves and in drawers but would like to consolidate and make some kind of rack or cabinet and gain back some floor space in the shop.

Please show photos of how you hang your tools...planes, gouges, files,...etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over the years I have copied some of the cool fixtures for storing tools, like Melvin's hand saw hangers. Messy benches are cool looking but I like to keep everything in it's place rather than hunt for it. It's getting to the point where I'm wasting a lot of time just finding stuff instead of building.

This was a fun thread back in 2010....the winner,... MANFIO.... of course!....:)

Hey Luis...how's your bench looking these days....still the same?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get a board of mdf or similar,

Add nails, boxes, shelves, anything that fits one tool well and fill the board up with tools

this was mine a year or so ago. It is since fuller. 

Look at some my space articles in the strad, there are some lovely workshops there

4449B346-693F-4EC1-BECE-5D72018FDA43.thumb.jpeg.0eaa347e0d045b9c12b394301f67bdd4.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also if your draw has a lip to stop tools falling out, you can design and make a very handy scraper holders. Get a block of (dry) wood, cut away so it can hook on and cut slots with a thin saw to hold scrapers. Very easy and quick. 

I was quite proud of that idea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2019 at 6:03 AM, Anthony Panke said:

Also if your draw has a lip to stop tools falling out, you can design and make a very handy scraper holders. Get a block of (dry) wood, cut away so it can hook on and cut slots with a thin saw to hold scrapers. Very easy and quick. 

I was quite proud of that idea

 :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe our resident organization freak (a positive reference) would be Matt Nyokos.  AKA, the anti-Manfio (winner of messiest bench contest). :)  Here's mine that I don't think is anything special.  Cleanliness ebbs and flows like the tide as I reach different stages of completion.

Workbench.JPG.7f331c3ff0ec36ef15161b49041c9461.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jim Bress said:

I believe our resident organization freak (a positive reference) would be Matt Nyokos.  AKA, the anti-Manfio (winner of messiest bench contest). :)  Here's mine that I don't think is anything special.  Cleanliness ebbs and flows like the tide as I reach different stages of completion.

Workbench.JPG.7f331c3ff0ec36ef15161b49041c9461.JPG

Looks like there would be much less potential for unintended outcomes and random destruction, than in Anthony's shop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Looks like there would be much less potential for unintended outcomes and random destruction, than in Anthony's shop.

Depends on the day of the week. ;)

IMG_2987.thumb.jpg.29902e4b9b077c7d48941b90293bb4e1.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Luckily I’m the only one who ever goes in my workshop, and my memory is good enough to remember where I put stuff. Also I only work on one small thing at a time, so I don’t get confused. 

That said, it does need some tidying...

to quote Einstein, “if a cluttered workbench is a sign of a cluttered mind, then of what sign is an empty workbench?”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Jim Bress said:

I believe our resident organization freak (a positive reference) would be Matt Nyokos.  AKA, the anti-Manfio (winner of messiest bench contest). :)  Here's mine that I don't think is anything special.  Cleanliness ebbs and flows like the tide as I reach different stages of completion.

I don't mind a little mess but as I downsize I want to make the most of the space I do have. I'd like to get rid of some of the shelves and cabinets. I like your L-shaped work area  and the tools hanging on the wall.  I noticed your saw hangers. Did you copy these from Melvins?...I did!

 

004.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, lpr5184 said:

I don't mind a little mess but as I downsize I want to make the most of the space I do have. I'd like to get rid of some of the shelves and cabinets. I like your L-shaped work area  and the tools hanging on the wall.  I noticed your saw hangers. Did you copy these from Melvins?...I did!

 

004.JPG

Possibly, I don't remember.  There's always things to learn from Melvin if you pay attention.  If I need more room on the board or acquire more saws, the saws will be moved to a saw till.  A saw till is a very space efficient and safe way to store saws.  I spend most of my time on the "peninsula" end of the workbench.  It gives me three sides to work on and attach jigs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jim Bress said:

  If I need more room on the board or acquire more saws, the saws will be moved to a saw till.  

You want to acquire these two Disston saws? They're available....:)...and I'll even throw in the hangers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

I believe our resident organization freak (a positive reference) would be Matt Nyokos.  AKA, the anti-Manfio (winner of messiest bench contest). :)  Here's mine that I don't think is anything special.  Cleanliness ebbs and flows like the tide as I reach different stages of completion.

Workbench.JPG.7f331c3ff0ec36ef15161b49041c9461.JPG

looks really nice Jim! I especially like the gerstner chest. great way to store / and organize tools. I have a small one myself. I try to organize tools by workflow and just pulling out the drawer I need for any given task

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Late to the party.  Front room of the new shop... For tool organization in the other bench room I use a rolling base and wood tool chests with drawers (a small movable "tower")

js_holmes_fine_violins_new_workshop.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.