GeorgeH

OT: Notre Dame Cathedral on Fire.

Recommended Posts

For some reason it reminds me of 9/11. I know its completely a different issue, but you feel something inside yourself when you see something that you think will be standing forever vanish before your eyes. It's hard to process. I loved that cathedral. Tragic. I felt some of that same emotion when my dad passed away too. Our brain isn't programmed to process everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The wood used for the 12x12" beams was obtained from trees that were centuries old. I wonder if they could even find such wood today.

In some ways, this fire reminded me of a Tibetan Buddhist sand mandala, a tradition involving the painstaking creation of a complex sculpture using colored sand followed by its deliberate destruction. This ritual is performed to remind us that all things, no matter how beautiful or painstakingly created, are ultimately impermanent.

1200px-Chenrezig_Sand_Mandala.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

This ritual is performed to remind us that all things, no matter how beautiful or painstakingly created, are ultimately impermanent.

Except the internet is forever :)  Do the practitioners of what you're talking about see the destruction as the beginning of an opportunity?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bill Merkel said:

Do the practitioners of that see the destruction as the beginning of an opportunity?

No. To explain it most simply, it is a ritual for practice of non-attachment to all things because all things are impermanent, no matter how attractive or valuable in their appearance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, David Burgess said:

The organ is intact.

One hopes.  Even if the pipes and other parts weren't damaged by heat, I'm very worried about smoke and water damage.  Even modest pipe organs are complicated and sensitive constructions, and Notre Dame's is reputed to be the world's largest and finest.

http://www.notredamedeparis.fr/en/la-cathedrale/linterieur/les-orgues/le-grand-orgue/

 

2 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

No. To explain it most simply, it is a ritual for practice of non-attachment to all things because all things are impermanent, no matter how attractive or valuable in their appearance. 

IMHO, to achieve such a state of detachment that the entire supercosmos becomes irrelevant isn't a particularly attractive aspiration.  As a philosophical basis, I prefer Aurelian stoicism, which improves one's sense of duty, even in the face of geological time.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

IMHO, to achieve such a state of detachment that the entire supercosmos becomes irrelevant isn't a particularly attractive aspiration. 

That, of course, is complete misinterpretation of the Tibetan Buddhist teachings around impermanence and non-attachment. Non-attachment does not mean detachment. If you'd like to continue this discourse, I'd be happy to do it off-thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

That, of course, is complete misinterpretation of the Tibetan Buddhist teachings around impermanence and non-attachment. Non-attachment does not mean detachment. If you'd like to continue this discourse, I'd be happy to do it off-thread.

[Invokes the immovability of Fudo/Acala, and prepares to slice away confusion and lasso error.] Sure.  PM me.  Let the games begin.  :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This magnificent Berlioz's work was performed in the Cathedral of Notre Dame five years ago.
We should hope that for five years in the renewed cathedral, we will experience something similar.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.