Sign in to follow this  
zhiyi_zhang617

Violin Bow ID

I have a few "player" bows, and one of such is posted here.

It does not have a stamp, except for a few marks (i.e. Roman numbers). I believe it is silver-mounted throughout including the head plate. Based on what I learnt from the experts at MN, I would think it appears to be a workshop bow, and possibly English, certainly, wishfully from Hill workshop.

Nonetheless, it is truly a player, yields very smooth and supple tone, especially on bright instruments.

Now, it is the time for me to hear the insights from the experts.

Thank you!

IMG_2463.jpg

IMG_2465.jpg

IMG_2466.jpg

IMG_2467.jpg

IMG_2469.jpg

IMG_2441.jpg

IMG_2454.jpg

IMG_2455.jpg

IMG_2446.jpg

IMG_2450.jpg

IMG_2460.jpg

IMG_2468.jpg

Unfortunately this photos don't tell much more than that it's a Saxon adjuster and marks at stick and frog pointing to Saxony, too. To tell more we would need straight side views from everything. To tell by photos alone if highly polished metal is silver or nickel is nearly impossible IMO.

Also, it would be much more effective to photograph the bow on a plain white surface. All the background objects and surfaces only interfere with the images, and make it harder for the camera to focus properly too.

36 minutes ago, MarkBouquet clearsky said:

Also, it would be much more effective to photograph the bow on a plain white surface. All the background objects and surfaces only interfere with the images, and make it harder for the camera to focus properly too.

Please see the additional photos

IMG_2492.jpg

IMG_2471.jpg

IMG_2474.jpg

IMG_2475.jpg

IMG_2482.jpg

IMG_2484 (1).jpg

IMG_2485 (1).jpg

IMG_2470.jpg

21 hours ago, Blank face said:

Unfortunately this photos don't tell much more than that it's a Saxon adjuster and marks at stick and frog pointing to Saxony, too. To tell more we would need straight side views from everything. To tell by photos alone if highly polished metal is silver or nickel is nearly impossible IMO.

Thank you, Blank face; your comments are always insightful and educational.

A few aspects led me to think it could be potentially interesting, the metal head plate, with two dots on the plate underneath horsehair (Picture No. 11), and very wide head (and thus plate), much wide than a typical MK bow, as I have a few of those (e.g., George Hoyer, Leon Pique, etc.). Was the metal, possibly silver, head plate common for Saxon bows?

The bow is on the heavy side, 63.5 g, but felt light, and rather supple and elastic.

They made many bows with metal plates in Saxony, sometimes one, sometimes two pins behind the mortice. Very few are from real silver, most are nickel and at more cheaper bows. Unfortunately your's does look fast and not very neatly made, the head without real chamfers, and stylistically the frog appears to be from a later period, so possibly not original to stick and adjuster?

Thank you, Black face; you are always insightful and informative!

I believe it is Saxon now, and I will keep it for my daily practice. (Now I probably have too many violins as well too many bows.:rolleyes:)