Sign in to follow this  
violinnewb

Short Audition for Community Symphony

Hello all!

Quick question...

I am looking to join a local community symphony orchestra and they require a short audio or video audition.  I am planning on playing three pieces (first mvt of a concerto, unaccompanied Bach, and a show piece).

Is it acceptable to perform excerpts or shortened versions of each piece?  

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, violinnewb said:

I am planning on playing three pieces (first mvt of a concerto, unaccompanied Bach, and a show piece).

I was going to mention what music I use to stay in playing shape these days per say and then I thought why doesn't newb just give them a sample of what's on his/hers music stand?  That's what I'd probably do just to see what happens.  The worst that could happens is a simple rejection/ no thanks.

1 hour ago, violinnewb said:

Hello all!

Quick question...

I am looking to join a local community symphony orchestra and they require a short audio or video audition.  I am planning on playing three pieces (first mvt of a concerto, unaccompanied Bach, and a show piece).

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

I'd suggest pieces that are already bite-size examples popular as encores, such as Mozart's Ave Verum, Bach's Air, Bartok's Rumanian Dances, etc. 

Thank you all for the responses.

I plan to play the 1st mvt. of the Bruch so, cutting out the last cadenza is not a big deal.  I also plan to play Kreisler's Mozart Rondo, which, with simple cuts, is short.  I need to keep this under 10 minutes.

I want to show range with at least three composers and three different periods.  Not sure which Bach unaccompanied to play since I have only learned and performed a few of them and they are all long.  

8 minutes ago, Andrew Victor said:

Really?? Someone would spend 10 minutes listening to a community orchestra audition?

Really???

Just be sure that whatever you play is performance ready.

That is the information that I got. Yes. 

It must be a really good orchestra! :) Ours doesn't require auditions for strings - and the other groups just play a bit for the conductor to make sure they can handle the material. We've turned people away, but rarely.

We play a regular orchestral rep too...albeit maybe not the very very difficult material.

44 minutes ago, Rue said:

It must be a really good orchestra! :) Ours doesn't require auditions for strings - and the other groups just play a bit for the conductor to make sure they can handle the material. We've turned people away, but rarely.

We play a regular orchestral rep too...albeit maybe not the very very difficult material.

That is the kind of easy going orchestra that I want to play for!

3 hours ago, Andrew Victor said:

Really?? Someone would spend 10 minutes listening to a community orchestra audition?

Really???

Just be sure that whatever you play is performance ready.

I'd suspect that the recording requirement is a method of screening out the less enthusiastic.  You could probably fill the 10 minutes with an improvised fantasia on The Micky Mouse Club Theme Song and get away with it.   :lol:

44 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

I'd suspect that the recording requirement is a method of screening out the less enthusiastic.  You could probably fill the 10 minutes with an improvised fantasia on The Micky Mouse Club Theme Song and get away with it.   :lol:

Well, I once had to prepare a short 3 minute audition for a chamber group and I played the opening theme song to Popeye the Sailor Man (from the cartoons).  The two persons that auditioned me laughed.  I threw in a few ornaments and running scales for kicks.  

11 hours ago, violinnewb said:

Well, I once had to prepare a short 3 minute audition for a chamber group and I played the opening theme song to Popeye the Sailor Man (from the cartoons).  The two persons that auditioned me laughed.  I threw in a few ornaments and running scales for kicks.  

But did you play it all in tune?

15 hours ago, Rue said:

I play in three and they all work on the self-auditioning principle, but that is out in the sticks where there aren't so many players. It's different in Lunnon.

Frequently professional orchestras only require the exposition of a concerto so you are safe. Play page 1 of Strauss Don Juan, Schumann Symph. #2 Scherzo for good measure.

Honestly, I'd just play the first movement of the Bruch, in its entirety, and leave it at that. Or if you want to up the difficulty, the last movement of the Bruch. (Or if you really think that the orchestra is highly competitive, play the exposition of a more difficult concerto.)

As a community-orchestra concertmaster, I listen to all of our violin auditions. My impression of a player is probably going to be formed in the first 30 seconds, and two minutes is probably adequate to tell me what I need to know. 

20 hours ago, lwl said:

Honestly, I'd just play the first movement of the Bruch, in its entirety, and leave it at that. Or if you want to up the difficulty, the last movement of the Bruch. (Or if you really think that the orchestra is highly competitive, play the exposition of a more difficult concerto.)

As a community-orchestra concertmaster, I listen to all of our violin auditions. My impression of a player is probably going to be formed in the first 30 seconds, and two minutes is probably adequate to tell me what I need to know. 

Thank you! I hope I am not auditioning for you though...would be rather embarrassing!

On 4/11/2019 at 7:13 PM, scordatura said:

Frequently professional orchestras only require the exposition of a concerto so you are safe. Play page 1 of Strauss Don Juan, Schumann Symph. #2 Scherzo for good measure.

Thank you for your reply! After reading your comment, I asked some of my friends who went on to pursue music and they all said pretty much the same thing!

Don Juan is serious overkill for a community orchestra audition. If you submit an audition full of the traditional professional excerpts, and they are perfectly played, the orchestra's manager/conductor/concertmaster will probably question if you understand that this is a community orchestra. If they are not perfectly played, choose something that's actually fully in your technical command.

If for whatever reason you think the Bruch isn't a difficult enough concerto for this orchestra (though it really should be, if you play it with total command), then pick a more difficult concerto that you know. Although honestly unless you're going to play the exposition of Brahms, Sibelius, Tchaikovsky, or Paganini No. 1, the Bruch is fine.

On 4/18/2019 at 2:29 PM, lwl said:

Do you ever get people who started teaching themselves six months ago who present their version of like the Sibelius concerto?

Bill, fortunately not. Though we do ask people to tell us something about themselves prior to the audition.