Sign in to follow this  
Rimino

SETTING HEEL OF NECK PLANE

Nice posts, Brad.

Remino and I have made preliminary arrangements for him drop by.  We''ll see how that goes. Some people don't do well with word descriptions, but really hit their stride when a few basic concepts are demonstrated.

5 hours ago, Mnorfleet said:

super sharp is key

I can sharpen without the usual sharpening device with an angle and wheel, but do you use one of these?  They seem to do a perfect job really fast.  If a blade is not square, do you use a special grinding wheel to correct this or some other way?  

18 minutes ago, Rimino said:

I can sharpen without the usual sharpening device with an angle and wheel, but do you use one of these?  They seem to do a perfect job really fast.  If a blade is not square, do you use a special grinding wheel to correct this or some other way?  

Rumino, sidestep the OCD stuff for a few days, OK?

I've offered that you can spend a little time in my shop. Since the above was addressed to Norfleet, it might be remotely possible to get him to drop by as well, and contribute his high skills and opinions, which I have always highly valued.

3 minutes ago, Rimino said:

I'm not sure what usual sharpening device you're revering to.  I think I've used one of the plane iron holding jigs once and found it to be too much of a nuisance.  I typically just hollow grind the angle of the iron with a conventional or low speed bench grinder and then use two different water stones to hone that ground surface with the stone touching both at the cutting edge and the other side of the ground surface.  I do the honing by hand without a jig.  When I grind I check for relative squareness of the cutting edge to the side of the iron every few times I sharpen it, but I'm not fanatical about it.  What I also do, and I think this is pretty common practice, is to make the cutting edge slightly convex.

And to address something you mentioned earlier about sole flatness...  I have two of the above mentioned planes.  One I use for everything smaller that I want to be flat and it's sole is kept entirely flat.  The other is slightly convex along it's length, has it's iron ground to a more obtuse angle and is only used on fingerboards.  My method for sharpening the iron for that plane is somewhat different these days, but I did do it the same as my other plane for decades, but still a more obtuse angle than my regular plane.

2 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

I've offered that you can spend a little time in my shop. Since the above was addressed to Norfleet, it might be remotely possible to get him to drop by as well, and contribute his high skills and opinions.

Ok, I’ll try to wait till then, I’ll call soon.

Good Advice!

I've offered that you can spend a little time in my shop. Since the above was addressed to Norfleet, it might be remotely possible to get him to drop by as well, and contribute his high skills and opinions.

Remotely..., timing etc.  I have a pretty good idea that we sharpen such things in a similar way.  :)

2 minutes ago, Mnorfleet said:

Remotely..., timing etc.  I have a pretty good idea that we sharpen such things in a similar way.  :)

Never know... I've noticed David has an affinity to rigging up his sazall to accomplish a number of tasks lately.  :)

1 hour ago, Jeffrey Holmes said:

Never know... I've noticed David has an affinity to rigging up his sazall to accomplish a number of tasks lately.  :)

Might you be willing to come in as well?  Between the three of us, that should be a pretty mind-blowing experience, well beyond the capability of anyone to take notes, or retain anything over the ten percentile level.

This is one-time teaching offer, for one person, which probably won't be repeated any time soon.

Jeffrey and i dedicate some time to teaching only, about one week per year. But it really isn't about us, as much as it is about the fabulous teachers and participants we have managed to bring in. I  " teach" there to learn..