Sign in to follow this  
PhilipKT

Ole Bull violin

I’m not the least interested in buying this violin, but I’d like to know a couple things: 

Who offered this line of instruments? Did Ole Bull endorse them or was he deceased by then?

is that silly medallion inlaid?

is it a nice instrument? The back looks really nice.

3260E81A-D98A-4FB4-AC6B-A913E4284493.jpeg

EE5272C7-BCBB-4DDE-A66F-31E8A5815C1D.jpeg

E373C3D9-D134-4325-9F38-4D0873C34D98.jpeg

A61901E9-10B1-46A0-8BFA-93769FB70CAA.jpeg

My violin shop here in Columbus, OH has couple of these hanging on the wall as decorations. ( The Loft Violin Shop) They seem to know a lot about them while entertaining casual conversation. You might send them a note and see what they have to say.

On 4/6/2019 at 1:19 PM, PhilipKT said:

The back looks really nice.

It'd look even better with the medallion planed off. :ph34r:

2 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

How about this one?:D

image.png.9fa6b96669bf39fd92a318075abff636.png

Nice idea!  Could we get them made in Markneukirchen?  :lol:

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:09 PM, Violadamore said:

Nice idea!  Could we get them made in Markneukirchen?  :lol:

I think that violin is very nice. Wood looks good, very good. It's the C bout shortness and narrowness which causes problems with tonality especially when it doesn't correspond with the length and depth of the lower bout, as it seems to look on the photo.

See, the problem is when you can't take away the thicknesses because of the narrow, short c bout as compared to the length depth and width of the upper and lower bouts. I reckon I have realised that pretty early on when I started this craft. It's the wood. Wide, tiger maple takes longer to resonate if cut to this degree in correspondence between it and the top plate. Because if you want a good tone without nasal hollowness then this is the problem. Also equal graduation never works when bulk is taken away by diminishing a bigger length violin, viola, cello, or bass, it needs resonance opposite to the plates. Meaning the back left plate, works with the top right, if it's well billeted, cut to it's middle register when split on a 2 piece back and a two piece front needs to follow inwards and then graduation on tight spruce will look as if it was one piece. Meaning you cannot easily see the joining in the middle.

F holes need to also be cut and graduated unequal on poor wood. Too weak at the f hole bottom. Too much vibrations unequal. Tight grains in spruce will need narrow deep graduations because of their respective inability to vibrate in tune causing a whining flat tone.

Also no jointed billet cut is exact and should not be or distortion of warping during construction will cause lack of brilliance in the middle strings .

Too long C bouts can cause wolf notes. The back when elongated needs wider, rounder c bouts.

Depth or lack of depth on the arching in and out will definitely distort resination because the sound is having to travel along a small inner c bout and will not fill the top and bottom bouts at high enough wavelengths and depth of tone is weak.

Maybe that was why Stradivari went back from elongation to rotundity

Now I could be talking total claptrap...it's only what I seem to have observed.

It seems I am not allowed to post. Can I not post anything anymore then? I'm being moderated. I feel very sad that this forum has become so wicked. I defend myself that is all. Others are allowed to post comments of the most vile kind and they are given free reign so why do I get moderated for good?

11 hours ago, morgana said:

It seems I am not allowed to post. Can I not post anything anymore then? I'm being moderated. I feel very sad that this forum has become so wicked. I defend myself that is all. Others are allowed to post comments of the most vile kind and they are given free reign so why do I get moderated for good?

I guess you'd have to be sitting on my side of the screen to judge veracity of the "I defend myself that is all" comment.  I keep a number of your old unreleased posts archived.  You are allowed to post, but you are correct... your posts are subject to approval (and have been for quite a while)... and others are also subject to moderation of they get out of hand.  I make every attempt to have a soft hand with moderation, however if I feel a specific member requires repeated attention, I do place them on post approval.  Not an exact science, certainly... but the best I can do.