Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Rieding

Supposed "Joannes Udalricus Eberle" Violin

Some time ago, In the interest of improving my eye for violins, I decided to scroll through eBay to try to identify some of the many violins with misleading labels. I came upon this one, but I can't really decipher when it might have been made. I would be grateful if anyone could point to some things to look for in this specimen.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Excellent-Antique-Joannes-Udalricus-Eberle-Fecit-Pragae-Anno-1755-Violin/223427144880?hash=item34054bacb0:g:bi0AAOSwI01cRndc&frcectupt=true

Well, the label is completely bogus.  The labels are always bogus.  Looks like a c.1900 Dutzendarbeit fiddle from the Vogtland to me, but maybe from somewhere in what would now be the Czech Republic, so the label could have gotten the general geographic region right.  I am not an expert, just applying the principles of the actual experts here.  Now, to be honest, the seller is not asking for the money an actual Eberle would be worth.  If you could solve the saddle problem and whatever crack issue you can see there, this might be a decent violin for the money.  These can sometimes sound great.  Often not.

I agree with palousian that the violin is definitely not made by Eberle. The corners, arching, scroll, f holes are way too different from Eberle's work. I might post some photos of Jan Eberle's violins from the book "Czech violin makers"  writen by Karel Jalovec if you wish so. 

4 hours ago, vathek said:

Looks like a possible bass bar crack

But if it were a real Eberle it would be well worth making it go away and certainly not a deal breaker by any stretch.

But it's not, so don't stare at it too hard and ruin your eyes!

It's a straight forward "Dutzendarbeit" or Scherb'n in Viennese German. Eberle was one of the frequent names on the octavo sheets of labels to cut out and stick in anywhere, that I wrote about here: 

5 hours ago, Dominik Tomasek said:

I agree with palousian that the violin is definitely not made by Eberle. The corners, arching, scroll, f holes are way too different from Eberle's work. I might post some photos of Jan Eberle's violins from the book "Czech violin makers"  writen by Karel Jalovec if you wish so. 

I would be very dubious about anything in Jalovec.

"Umeni Houslaru" is a much more reliable source - or there's a nice one in Hamma.

19 minutes ago, martin swan said:

I would be very dubious about anything in Jalovec.

"Umeni Houslaru" is a much more reliable source - or there's a nice one in Hamma.

May I ask why is that so? I have never heard of Jalovec being unreliable source.

5 hours ago, Dominik Tomasek said:

May I ask why is that so? I have never heard of Jalovec being unreliable source.

Badly cut pictures, poorly attributed instruments, sourcing of information that lacks verification(i.e. copying information from other dictionaries and books that were also copied from other books...)

It is sometimes decent for birth and death dates, but not always...

20 hours ago, duane88 said:

Badly cut pictures, poorly attributed instruments, sourcing of information that lacks verification(i.e. copying information from other dictionaries and books that were also copied from other books...)

It is sometimes decent for birth and death dates, but not always...

Seconded