Sign in to follow this  
BassClef

Any Violins or Cellos to see in Hong Kong?

I will be in Hong Kong later this month and would like to see any instruments on display at museums or other institutions. Anyone know of anything instrument-related to do while I’m there other than attend a concert? 

1 hour ago, BassClef said:

OK, I'll stick to seeing the Bruce Lee collection at the Heritage Museum then.

Don't give up so quickly.  I'm sure there's folks on here that can that can tell you where to go.  I'm looking forward to what you find, but don't forget the Jun Fan collection since you already offered. ;)

AFAIK there a no western instruments on display in Hong Kong, and although I suspect there may be some Chinese instruments at the HK History Museum or the HK Heritage Museum in Sha Tin, I can't say for sure. There are a lot of Strads, etc. etc. in town, but all privately (VERY privately) held.

On 4/6/2019 at 1:09 AM, Julian Cossmann Cooke said:

Get in touch with Wing Chan who is a luthier in HK and a friend of mine.  Tell him I referred you.  I suspect he is well familiar with the scene there.  

I emailed him over a week back and never got a response. I’m here now and have connected with a local snake expert who will take me and my daughter into the jungle looking for snakes. And I might still make it to the heritage museum to see the Bruce Lee collection. Thanks for trying.

Want to hear our Mahler 9 on Friday or Saturday night? (HK Phil., Jaap van Zweden Music Director conducting). I am pretty sure it is sold out, but if you like I can ask if the personnel manager has kept any tickets back.

Hi Bassclef, I just checked my email account and didn’t see an email from you. Not sure what happened with the email account and I am really sorry about it. I am in HK and would very happy take you around. Unfortunately as Ethan said there is no dedicated musical instrument museum in HK - we are not as lucky as some other places in the world.