Help ID with a friend´s nice old violin

Hello everyone,

I would like you to see the pictures below; a friend of mine has been playing this violin for the last 10-15 years or so and nobody is sure about its origin: some people think it could be italian XVIII century but other say "french"... Top of violin is a modern replacement by a spanish violin maker so I´m only posting some pictures of back. I hope I will be able to upload some pictures of the scroll very soon if it helps but let´s see the back first. Any suggestions are wellcome as usually!

Thanks in advance!

IMG_20190105_153847_319.jpg

IMG_20190105_154017.jpg

IMG_20190105_232615_063.jpg

IMG_20190105_232618_493.jpg

IMG_20190105_232621_967.jpg

IMG_20190105_232739.jpg

IMG_20190105_232842.jpg

IMG_20190105_232944.jpg

IMG_20190105_233023.jpg

IMG_20190105_233119.jpg

10 hours ago, Jwillis said:

My vote is German however this is purely speculative I’ll be interested to see the scroll pics

Hi Jwillis. I have knowm now scroll could be not original so I´m afraid we are talking about half a violin. I think only ribs and back are old and original...

13 hours ago, not telling said:

People's Republic of China, 21st century

I'm just kidding. It could be anything. It doesn't look so unique to me, and doesn't look old, but I don't know anything. Where's the scroll photos?

Hi Not telling. Scroll could be not original (grafted neck too) but I will post them as soon as I get them. 

Thanks.

I'm not sure if it's meant seriously to identify a violin by some photos of the bottom only?

It's obvious that everybody likes to be his favourite instrument 18th century Italian, and that second best would be a good French. Looking at the sharp rib corners going nearly to the end of the plates I'm rather getting a Saxon/Bohemian feeling.

Dear Blank Face and Martin,

Thanks for your comments. Yes, really difficult to say anything just from some pictures of the back... so thanks for the efforts. The owner really loves this violin and bought it for its sound but I still feel it a little dissapointing to think about saxon or bohemian origin. I don´t really know if pictures of scroll or ribs (composite violin, modern later added top plate) will help but I will post them if I finally get them.

Anyway thanks for your help!

P.D.: I´m planning to post about a couple bows but definitely there will be more pictures than in this last post...

Does anyone recall the Daniel Draley lecture and contest at the VSA many years ago? 10 or 12 photographs of backs, guess who made them?

I seem to recall that Michael Darnton was the only person who got them all right. 

not easy, but possible.

Depends. Assuming you're guessing about "Great", at least reknown makers it might be possible if you're familiar with them; if I'm going to post a dozen bottoms of Vogtland, Mittenwald, Mirecourt and other "provincial " instruments, would you know?

2 hours ago, millant said:

.. The owner really loves this violin and bought it for its sound but I still feel it a little dissapointing to think about saxon or bohemian origin....

There's really nothing to be disappointed about.  If the owner loves it, and it sounds good.  Win-win! :)

13 hours ago, Jwillis said:

I’d play a brand new Chinese violin if it was the most amazing violin I’d ever heard. That never has happened, just saying;) 

Thanks Jwillis, I agree! Anyway if you find that lovely chinese violin please tell us about! ;)