Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bress

Souther Violin Association 18 to 21 April

1 hour ago, scordatura said:

That is true, people in the south tend to be nicer. The opposite of where I live in the NYC area.

Louisville is an amazing town, I'd gladly live there. Great baroque scene. And bourbon!

Congrats, Ed!

44 minutes ago, Edward Byler said:

I hate to toot my own horn but I took two violins and got 1and 2nd tone ,2nd and 3rd workmanship 

It was starting to get comical watching you get called back to the stage for another award just as you made it back to your seat. :)  It was a great show.  I enjoyed meeting you and many others.  For me, it was a great learning event that I'm looking forward to repeat.  I really enjoyed your fiddles.  Having the tone judges play all the tone winners at the end was a treat.

-Jim

One of the tone judges playing my #26. 

Evan Smith got something for viola . Jim Bress had a nice viola there . There was a beautiful Amati model violin by a maker from Mexico that got first place workmanship in violin . 

3 minutes ago, Edward Byler said:

Evan Smith got something for viola . Jim Bress had a nice viola there . There was a beautiful Amati model violin by a maker from Mexico that got first place workmanship in violin . 

The Maker was Jamie Gonzales (?).  I'm not 100% sure on the last name.  We car pooled as far as the DC area.  Great guy.  

1 hour ago, Edward Byler said:

I hate to toot my own horn but I took two violins and got 1and 2nd tone ,2nd and 3rd workmanship 

I can't say I'm surprised by that result.  Congrats!

19 minutes ago, Edward Byler said:

Thanks for the compliment.  The #1 viola for tone was a gorgeous Da Salo model that sounded incredible.  I forget the makers name, other than he was a friend/associate of Alex Reza that had to collect almost as many awards for him as Edward Byler received.

My most sincere congratulations to Ed, as well as to everyone who won something at the convention. :)

Congratulations to everyone taking home spoils of competition, especially the guys who won multiple awards, Ed and "Alex Reza's friend" (Dirk Henry? That would stand to reason). If anyone has photos of the instruments they entered, winning or not, that would be helpful and fun to see them. 

Who were the workmanship judges? Were they able to give everyone a lot of information and critique? Lack of that is a pretty huge drawback of the bigger competitions. I remember Chris Germain was supposed to be there...who else?

I would prefer to believe David Chandler didn't follow up with me out of disorganization etc., same reason I didn't keep hounding him, but it sounds like the whole thing was fun and well-organized other than more or less forcing attendees to miss Easter with their families. Meh, that doesn't really matter to most people anymore anyway.

I think David Chandler used to post here. He had a creepy Charlie Manson avatar. Right? Is he still around the forums?

On 4/22/2019 at 9:02 AM, Jim Bress said:

Thanks for the compliment.  The #1 viola for tone was a gorgeous Da Salo model that sounded incredible.  I forget the makers name, other than he was a friend/associate of Alex Reza that had to collect almost as many awards for him as Edward Byler received.

Hi,

It was really great seeing everyone there.  Dirk Henry, won 1st for his viola tone plus a second for workmanship and his violin got 3rd for tone!!!  He is doing some amazing work, so glad to be working together again.  

On 4/22/2019 at 9:02 AM, Jim Bress said:

Hi,

It was really great seeing everyone there.  Dirk Henry, won 1st for his viola tone plus a second for workmanship and his violin got 3rd for tone!!!  He is doing some amazing work, so glad to be working together again.  

Here are some pictures of Dirk Henry's viola.

Dirk Henry Viola back.jpg

Dirk Henry Viola FF.jpg

Dirk Henry Viola front.jpg

2 hours ago, Alex l. Reza said:

Hi,

Sorry I missed the instruments, but it was nice to see you there.