Sign in to follow this  
JAM

Contavalli Primo Imola 1929

1 hour ago, hendrik said:

Looks like "the usual"  student model Saxon fiddle.

I think it Looks more like a Mirecout industy product, probably one of those with pressed plates. Never trust anything with sand(?) sprinkeled on the "Label"

18 minutes ago, puckfandan said:

Yup, cheap Mirecourt fiddle with $200 :)

Not sure in which universe a 1920s Mirecourt violin in good condition costs $200.

I am as frustrated as the next dealer by people who think they can pick up a bargain on Ebay, but I don't think it's necessary to exaggerate. 

I guess I should retire from commenting on French or Saxon and study the pictures better.

Never looked carefully enough at the arching on photos, but do on a violin in hand. I can see how this looks pressed.

Is this chippy varnish typically  French?

19 hours ago, martin swan said:

Not sure in which universe a 1920s Mirecourt violin in good condition costs $200.

I am as frustrated as the next dealer by people who think they can pick up a bargain on Ebay, but I don't think it's necessary to exaggerate. 

For the record, you are correct.

On 3/30/2019 at 9:25 AM, puckfandan said:

Yup, cheap Mirecourt fiddle with $200 :)

Bring me all of your cheap Mirecourt fiddles in this condition for $200 each and I will purchase them.

As Martin said, you might be a bit out of touch with the market.

Thanks everyone!  Yeah it’s being returned, got it yesterday.  I’ve been buying violins off eBay for the last 15 years here and there and have gotten lucky with three really amazing ones that I bought for pennies.  After this last purchase/return, I think  i’ll be holding off buying anything for a bit!

Yes, you can better buy a trash from some maestronet members with violin shops. I saw a lot of trash (bad quality mirecourt and mittenwald instruments) for the price you paid in ebay and up to 10k in online shops or violin makers. Dear Pearl, please understand, everybody who is sitting here like Martin 24/7 has his own strategy. Or do you think the people have too much time to spend it in forum like this one?

Yes it's a fair point.

If you want a dealer to describe a 1920s Mirecourt violin as a 1920s Mirecourt violin rather than Italian, if you want it well set up, if you want to try it amongst a dozen others in a curated collection where everything sounds good and is genuinely usable, if you want to take it home for 2 weeks and then return it without cost or a catfight, if you want friendly unpressured advice and an ongoing 100% upgrade policy, then you will have to pay!

If cheapness is your only concern then Ebay is a much better bet :wacko:

I don't believe that something like the OP violin would appear in our shop or that of any other Maestronet member I know for "up to 10k". Do you have examples?

As for Maestronet addiction, it's a fair cop. I sometimes spend as much as 30 minutes a day on Maestronet (maybe an hour on Sundays). However, it's pretty much my only "social media" activity. I believe this is about 4.9 hours less than the average human ...

On 3/31/2019 at 9:39 PM, violinouno said:

Yes, you can better buy a trash from some maestronet members with violin shops. I saw a lot of trash (bad quality mirecourt and mittenwald instruments) for the price you paid in ebay and up to 10k in online shops or violin makers. Dear Pearl, please understand, everybody who is sitting here like Martin 24/7 has his own strategy. Or do you think the people have too much time to spend it in forum like this one?

I am very grateful to Martin for the time he spends here and the valuable information he gives for free about violins and there possible identity.

So what happens if you buy from ebay and discover a major fault and the seller has a no return policy ?

On 4/1/2019 at 9:47 AM, Delabo said:

I am very grateful to Martin for the time he spends here and the valuable information he gives for free about violins and there possible identity.

So what happens if you buy from ebay and discover a major fault and the seller has a no return policy ?

I believe that we call that the cost of doing business, or perhaps "tuition" is a better description.

I can't recall whether it was Bein or Reuning who suggested that a Violin Expert can be judged by how much they have lost on a deal.

On 4/1/2019 at 12:47 PM, Delabo said:

That makes two of us!