Sign in to follow this  
i8bugs

Researching for a Build: 1682 Stainer

I am no where ready to do this but I am starting research on and eventually want to build a 1682 Stainer, his last known violin before he died in 1683. This project really has me driven.
Problem is, I cannot find any technical drawings, measurements or blueprints. This is the best paragraph I have found concerning it...

Since about 1663 Stainer also built violins with a flatter curvature, which are accordingly stronger sound. As the culmination of Stainer's work and "one of the most beautiful and best-preserved instruments" of the master Walter Senn, the most well-founded Stainer expert, called the last violin from 1682 created by Stainer, the 1968 by buying from Innsbruck Servitenkloster in the collection reached. Unfortunately, the original, rather thick neck and the original bass bar were removed around 1932 by Hermann Glasl, Munich and replaced by modern parts. The violin maker Johann Georg Psenner from Innsbruck had already carried out repair work as early as 1787 and probably completely renewed the ceiling. So this magnificent instrument shares the fate of most of Stainer's instruments:  (Taken from http://musikinstrumente.musikland-tirol.at/content/musikinstrumenteinhalt/jakobstainer/)

So getting technical drawings might be an adventure.  
Anyone else gone down this road yet?

The National Music Museum sells a technical drawing of a 1668 Stainer which might give you some ideas since it would have been made during the flatter curvature era cited in your excerpt.https://shop.nmmusd.org/collections/technical-drawings?page=4  Please note that the museum is under renovation and expansion so I don't know whether that changes access to their gift shop items like this drawing.

Do you know where the 1682 instrument resides?  I am not near my Stainer books at the moment, otherwise I would see if I could find it.

Hope the above is helpful.

6 hours ago, Julian Cossmann Cooke said:

Do you know where the 1682 instrument resides?  I am not near my Stainer books at the moment, otherwise I would see if I could find it.

I believe it is at the Ferdinandeum in Innsbruck. I sent tham an email to see if they do have it.

Roger Hargrave also has an excellent artickel on a 1679 Stainer in much the same state of preservation as the 1668 residing at the Museum. You can access Rogers article from his website. These violins are both remarkable in their state of preservation..very little if any modernization. I have a copy of the 1668 technical drawings which I purchased from the museum some years back. The drawings are wonderfully detailed and even include some color photo callouts for a few of the more interesting areas..corners and such. The drawings are not cheep (about 100 USD) but well worth it. I plan to do a build from this set of prints...but have not decided yet about wether to do a baroque version or not. It should be straight forward to build a mold from the data supplied and go from there once you obtain a copy if that ends up being your plan of attack.  In addition a full set of color photos can be viewed from the Luthiers library database

6 minutes ago, dand said:

Roger Hargrave also has an excellent artickel on a 1679 Stainer in much the same state of preservation as the 1668 residing at the Museum. You can access Rogers article from his website

I'll give that a try. I know I'm going to end up spending $$$ for the drawings. 

The Luthiers library info i mentioned is pertaining to the 1668 instrument I believe. They also have an interesting set of phtos where they run a laser light across the plates to give visual refererence to the where the arching measurements were taken along with the arching data they collected.

There's a Strad Poster of the 1679, with 3 each belly and back cross arches and long arches as well.  Some details of the neck and FB also.

Based on those three cross sections the arches have just a smidge of Amati thrown into them compared to the 1668.  I have always been curious to see an example of a Stainer with a very Amati-like arch in the back such as Roger mentions in his article.

14 hours ago, Julian Cossmann Cooke said:

The National Music Museum sells a technical drawing of a 1668 Stainer which might give you some ideas since it would have been made during the flatter curvature era cited in your excerpt.https://shop.nmmusd.org/collections/technical-drawings?page=4  Please note that the museum is under renovation and expansion so I don't know whether that changes access to their gift shop items like this drawing.

This is a stunning instrument.  It is well worth visiting the museum and having a look to either encourage or discourage your effort.  For me, it is one of the stars of the collection.