Sign in to follow this  
Anthony Panke

Favourite instrument and why?

I’m interested to know what people’s favourite instruments of all time are, and why. Both aesthetically and acoustically, perhaps the history of the instrument etc. 

My personal favourite is the alard amati 1649- it’s just beautiful and well preserved. No idea how it sounds though...

Personally, this is a difficult question as I cannot discern tonal qualities of instruments based solely upon a recording.  For example, Perlman sounds like Perlman on all of his recordings regardless of whether he plays his Bergonzi, Strad or Guarneri.  

So my answer is...my favorite instrument is my own.  Nothing particularly special about it, just love the sound and aesthetics.

Definitely my own.  It's mine, it does what I want it to, it impresses other players, and it's all paid for.  :lol:

I like mine best too...but if I had to pick an overall look...guess it would a Maggini or something with just a touch of fancy purfling...

It's always my most recently made one... but then I have to send it out to the person I made it for.

Interesting, the trend seems to be toward self made instruments rather than old ones. I think professional makers realise that old instruments are not the only good ones, and making one allows the maker to get everything to his/her own tastes. 

I'm attracted by GdG f-hole weirdness.  There's a modern-day stereotype that seems to come from the Cannon, but really no two are the same and some of them are bizarre.

920766999_Soyer-Guarneri-frontandback.jpg.c02c040fa517775ed783959995615858.jpg1228127910_Head-basssoyer.thumb.jpg.871173650572e10ecf37851d712762fb.jpg

Because this is the cello I want to model the one I plan on making.  After I make it, my cello will probably be my favorite.  Sorry for the disproportionate pictures.

6 hours ago, Anthony Panke said:

Interesting, the trend seems to be toward self made instruments rather than old ones. I think professional makers realise that old instruments are not the only good ones, and making one allows the maker to get everything to his/her own tastes. 

Well mine wasn't made by me.  I was simply saying that you gave two criteria: 1) sound, and 2) aesthetics.  As I mentioned before, I am not sure how to truly discern the sound of an instrument unless I have it under my chin and I am playing it for hours.  So based upon just those criteria, it is difficult for me to say otherwise.  And I agree with Violadamore....my violin is "mine."  So I love it more than others.  

But if I had to say which instrument is my favorites just based upon looks, I would say the Guarneri that Heifetz once used.  I think its called the "David" or something to that effect.

I love the Andrea Guarneri Tenor viola in the South Dakota Museum, for its pure condition. A lovely instrument.

The Bergonzi "Spanish " cello...1732 ish The surface is essentially undisturbed .

The varnish and varnishing are beyond understanding.

The scroll carving is so bold.

Having it in my hands confirmed all.

on we go,

Joe

12 hours ago, joerobson said:

The Bergonzi "Spanish " cello...1732 ish The surface is essentially undisturbed .

The varnish and varnishing are beyond understanding.

The scroll carving is so bold.

Having it in my hands confirmed all.

on we go,

Joe

Where are there images of this instrument?

6 minutes ago, DoorMouse said:

Where are there images of this instrument?

"Carlo Bergonzi: A Cremonese Master Unveiled" by Christopher Reuning

I could make an endless list of favourite classical period instruments each for a different reason. So the ironic answer to the question would be 'my own fingerprint-like model'

(nobody here knows that I actually have one)