Sign in to follow this  
Berto

Looking for smaller viola

Hi

Can anyone point us in the right direction as we start a search for a viola for my daughter. We are looking for 15-15 3/4 size range. Ideally, 14k or less. Would also consider a workshop viola (if that’s the right term) at a lower price point. 6-8k? thank you. 

I imagine any number of less experienced luthiers on MN would be willing to make a small viola for a lot less that $6K.

If she's young, I'd caution you to buy on the large end that she can grow into. No matter how little or much you pay, you'll have a damn hard time getting rid of it when/if the time comes. If she could handle 15 3/4, keep in mind 16" is widely considered ideal.

Does it have to be new? With your budget you have a lot of choices, I'd spend some time bouncing around whatever bigger shops you have access to.

Thanks all. To clarify my daughter is 15 years old. Full grown.  We are in NJ but have tried some instruments on approval that have been shipped. 

If you’re in Europe, there are lots of nice good older «German» violas in 38cm size to be found. Many of them are surprisingly good.

Thanks-daughter is 15 years old. About 5’2”.  Possibly Conservatory but most likely not.  Not a prodigy but serious.