lpr5184

Roughing Gouge...

I finally found a decent roughing gouge. I've been using a short handled gouge for roughing and the last few maple backs seem to be getting harder...:rolleyes:. I've been looking around for awhile and found this 90/40 Karlsson gouge. I've heard these are great so I went ahead and purchased it.  I was looking for a couple more scroll gouges but couldn't find anything online from him though.

K-Gouge.thumb.jpg.f89cf9b3ae166c97c5bc689c2d179f66.jpg

Hey E, 

Karlssons are no joke. I just got in seven gouges and an incannel from them. When I ordered, they said they'd email when they had finish making them. Took six weeks, but was absolutely worth the wait.

59 minutes ago, JacksonMaberry said:

Hey E, 

Karlssons are no joke. I just got in seven gouges and an incannel from them. When I ordered, they said they'd email when they had finish making them. Took six weeks, but was absolutely worth the wait.

Yeah, I saw your beautiful scroll set which is what made me look for some online. No dice. So you just contacted them from their website? Would you mind listing which sizes you ordered?..and the cost? Thanks

46 minutes ago, DoorMouse said:

Looks nice!  What kind of wood is that handle?

No idea. I haven't received the gouge yet. Looks oakish or hickory to me. Do they even have those trees in Sweden?

1 hour ago, Urban Luthier said:

Nice gouge! The scroll set from Dictum is made by Hans Karlsson 

Really? Do you have a link? The Dictum set I looked at said they were made in Sheffield.

11 hours ago, lpr5184 said:

Really? Do you have a link? The Dictum set I looked at said they were made in Sheffield.

Shoot you are right, they use to cary the Hans Harlsson set but it doesn't seem to be listed anymore. I bought a set years ago. The dictum branded set seems to be rather expensive!

12 hours ago, Urban Luthier said:

Nice gouge! The scroll set from Dictum is made by Hans Karlsson 

8 minutes ago, Urban Luthier said:

Shoot you are right, they use to cary the Hans Harlsson set but it doesn't seem to be listed anymore. I bought a set years ago. The dictum branded set seems to be rather expensive!

Yeah, the Dictum set is made by Henry Taylor.  I have a set and I'm not crazy about them. 

13 hours ago, lpr5184 said:

No idea. I haven't received the gouge yet. Looks oakish or hickory to me. Do they even have those trees in Sweden?

I see it as ash wood.

14 hours ago, lpr5184 said:

Yeah, I saw your beautiful scroll set which is what made me look for some online. No dice. So you just contacted them from their website? Would you mind listing which sizes you ordered?..and the cost? Thanks

I got the following, plus the violin corner block gouge. Prices in Swedish Kronor. Shipping was 200 SEK on top. In total, I paid $385 US shipped for eight outstanding, lifetime tools. Seems like a bargain to me! First number is the radius, second is the width, then the 3 digit number is the price in SEK.

57-32: 472:-
19-20: 416:-
13-19: 388:-
10-16: 416:-
7-10:  388:-
6-8:   388:-
4,5-7: 388:-

2 hours ago, JacksonMaberry said:

I got the following, plus the violin corner block gouge. Prices in Swedish Kronor. Shipping was 200 SEK on top. In total, I paid $385 US shipped for eight outstanding, lifetime tools. Seems like a bargain to me! First number is the radius, second is the width, then the 3 digit number is the price in SEK.

57-32: 472:-
19-20: 416:-
13-19: 388:-
10-16: 416:-
7-10:  388:-
6-8:   388:-
4,5-7: 388:-

That's a really good price! Thanks.

Great info Thanks!  Have you carved a scroll with them yet? Do you find these sizes adequate?

-I sent them an inquiry with these sizes this morning...

16 hours ago, nathan slobodkin said:

I'd replace that handle with something with a knob on the end that is comfortable to push with your palm.

The Karlsson handle looks pretty comfortable. The gouge I've been using for the last ten years has just a straight round boxwood handle.

hk-rak-skolp-1-ny.jpg.fd33057ab8e9e507852096ac21d59d2a.jpg

12 minutes ago, lpr5184 said:

The Karlsson handle looks pretty comfortable. The gouge I've been using for the last ten years has just a straight round boxwood handle.

I looked at the picture before reading your post and thought that's got to be an uncomfortable handle.  :huh:  Do you have a link to the site?

Thanks,

Jim

46 minutes ago, lpr5184 said:

What is the total length please?

2 hours ago, lpr5184 said:

Great info Thanks!  Have you carved a scroll with them yet? Do you find these sizes adequate?

-I sent them an inquiry with these sizes this morning...

I haven't yet - I'm on a hiatus until June. But I picked them to go with my templates and Davide Sora's list of radius and size for his gouges. Not a lot of direct overlap between his chart and Karlssons offerings, but if you know your own scroll templates you'll not have trouble deciding which to get.

44 minutes ago, violins88 said:

What is the total length please?

Straight carving gouges made of high quality steel SS2258. Hardened to 63-65 HRC.
Handles are made of local grown ash or elm.
Total length 230-250mm

23 minutes ago, JacksonMaberry said:

I haven't yet - I'm on a hiatus until June. But I picked them to go with my templates and Davide Sora's list of radius and size for his gouges. Not a lot of direct overlap between his chart and Karlssons offerings, but if you know your own scroll templates you'll not have trouble deciding which to get.

Thanks Jackson.

19 hours ago, nathan slobodkin said:

I'd replace that handle with something with a knob on the end that is comfortable to push with your palm.

So would I.

3 hours ago, lpr5184 said:

The Karlsson handle looks pretty comfortable.

Not to someone who's done a chitload of roughing. ;)