Sign in to follow this  
not telling

DIY JSB Google Doodle

I won't give anyone the link to... Google. I spent an hour on this thing, easy. Don't do that, but you should try it. AI can make random notes kind of similar to actual JS Bach with correct harmony application. The world is amazing. Just my opinions though, and I don't claim to know all of the things about what Bach sounds like. People with PhD-level or any level of counterpoint  knowledge feel free to educate me. I think the app is fun though.

Post your "composition" here, if you want.

I had fun playing around with it during lunch. Just to see what would happen, I even did one with notes picked completely at random. The algorithm was sophisticated enough to write something that buried my nonsensical line within something that actually worked by putting a decent top and bottom part in place around what I wrote. 

Definitely a favorite doodle. 

Just following the rules of counterpoint and not doing anything else, you will end up with something ok, so it's kind of perfectly suited for AI.  Interesing demonstration.  But Bach's claim to fame is he's more than just ok :) 

1 hour ago, Bill Merkel said:

Just following the rules of counterpoint and not doing anything else, you will end up with something ok, so it's kind of perfectly suited for AI.  Interesing demonstration.  But Bach's claim to fame is he's more than just ok :) 

Agreed. As a doodle that’s aimed at the general public, it’s interesting and amusing without getting too technical. 

On 3/21/2019 at 4:51 PM, not telling said:

I won't give anyone the link to... Google.

It's okay now :)

https://www.google.com/doodles/celebrating-johann-sebastian-bach

On 3/22/2019 at 8:26 AM, Urban Luthier said:

Well, I  working AI everyday...

I took a weeks-long class in ML a couple of years ago and realized your ability is basically your math skills, where a lot of ppl are way ahead of me so I didn't pursue it any further.

I discovered a couple of interesting things about this one.  It's more of a general pattern filling algorithm than one based on counterpoint rules.  Trained on a few hundred Bach chorales think it said.  The question is it still has to follow the rules of counterpoint, or should.  So it's more interesting han it first appears.  A good counterpoint teacher could scan over its output and spot mistakes instantly if they were there.  I thought I saw some parallel perfect intervals, but on the weak part of the beat, and I can't remember if that's allowed or not and I don't want to look it up.  I entered BACH (Bb A C /B) expecting an Easter egg... Didn't get one, but it at least handled it differently each time.

The group that did it, including social media links, and some of the problems.They're pretty proud of it.

https://magenta.tensorflow.org/coconet

From the source code it seems to use this sound library

https://tonejs.github.io/

48 minutes ago, Bill Merkel said:

The documentary that Urban Luthier links to says they actually hanged a horn player at Weimar to make an example.

I really enjoy that documentary. It's long! And great. We also have the book. Yes, I can't imagine how he wrote music under those circumstances, not just music but the greatest music the world will ever have. It's almost as though they didn't know who he was. Jailed for obstinancy and importunity...it boggles the mind. It's a history that is kind of shocking, to me, since I would imagine people in his time would have known what he was when he was pumping out a cantata per week (!!!) along with everything else.  But no, he was just some owned court composer and musician who needed to know his place.  Today, relatively few have heard of the Dukes of Weimar, and almost no one has heard of the guy appointed Kappellmeister over Bach, whereas probably 98% of everyone on the planet has heard of JS Bach.  

I don't think I've seen it before.  It has some of the best performances in it I've seen.  The duet that starts around 1:04:05 is unbelievable.  Fun to imagine Anna Magdalena singing the soprano and some friend of hers as the alto.

12 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

I don't think I've seen it before.  It has some of the best performances in it I've seen.  The duet that starts around 1:04:05 is unbelievable.  Fun to imagine Anna Magdalena singing the soprano and some friend of hers as the alto.

Remarkable aren't they!?

I had the pleasure of seeing JEG (along with many of the soloists in the video), live in London last summer during the Back festival. They performed 12 cantatas over 3 nights at the Barbican -- I was there for two of the three performances. 

By the way the fellow on the Cello is David Watkin -- he has recorded the cello suites on Resonus Classics. My favourite recording of the suites!

I'll probably get the record.  He also has some talks on YT.   While I'm thinking of it, Jarvis.  Worst scholarship I can imagine, the more I read about it.  One of his cornerstones is on the bottom of the cover, an inscription he interpreted to mean "written by" rather than "copied by".  The same inscription is on the cover of her copy of the Sonatas and Partitas...which I suppose he would take to mean she wrote those too.  His reaction is like don't understand why people are so hostile to the idea that AMB could have written the cello suites... 

Also, the AMB manuscript of the S&P on imslp is wrong at the moment -- the link goes to the copy usually attributed to "three unknown copyists".  The real AMB copy of the S&P is here, downloadable as super good tiff files.  Cello suites are probably there too in similar quality.

Sonatas and Partitas, AMB copy