Sign in to follow this  
herrjunk

B on A string 1st pos

A violinist playing a violin I made  / I just love the b note on your violin .    any thoughts about acoustics of this violin

Removed original comment. How does the instrument sound on the rest of the instrument? Is this note a problem note or a very good sounding note? If one note sounds out as beautiful is the rest of the instrument also good sounding? Thanks

Typical to be polite and make a postive comment.  Often times you have to prod a little deeper to get the honest and full feedback—  this is how we learn.

If it is a single note in question— a sound post adjustment can be made in an effort to bring out a more balanced sound.

I am not sure of the meaning of the original post. Is the violin exceptionally good sounding on the B4 note played on the A string, or is this note a problem note such as a wolf note might be? How does the rest of the instrument sound? I thought the meaning was that this note was very good sounding and stood out, possibly then being the same pitch as a major body mode of vibration such as the B1-(minus) body mode.And also, is the same pitch B note played on the D string different, or does it still have the same quality. The pitch of B4 is around 494hz and the violin responds to this frequency. Mr. herrjunk I meant no disrespect with my post above and thank you for the information. Anything I know about a violin is because someone was willing to tell me and share information.  How does the violin sound on the other strings, and how does this note sound on the D string played in a higher position? If I understood your post correctly it would make sense that the rest of the instrument would also have a good sound.

I am just a music listener  - tone sounds even to me .  It is truly aVSO as my woodworking skill are not good but while building was trying to get the sound.    it sounds very good to me. Christine form the town orchestra played it in our  local  church the entire service- gave me a thumbs up immediately after the first hymn . She was really giving it a good workout  even in higher positions  / the other girl that played it wanted to keep it for a week to play in a wedding   . so perhaps it was beginners luck.  a quiz for you all . how many asymmetric  parts do you see in the violin :)  I am attaching  a photo  thank you all for your input

Tom St Pat'so.jpg

Thanks for the picture and information: I wasn't sure if this was your first violin that you have made. Having a good player say that they like the violin sound makes it all worth it. I am now on number six and seven and can't wait to see how they sound. What kind of wood did you use for the fingerboard and neck/scroll? 

the neck scroll is walnut  the fingerboard is purple heart  back is one piece maple finish is a simple shellac -- i kept it a little on the thick side so weight is above average  also approx 4mm longer LOB  not by design though :) :)    

17 hours ago, herrjunk said:

I am just a music listener  - tone sounds even to me .  It is truly aVSO as my woodworking skill are not good but while building was trying to get the sound.    it sounds very good to me. Christine form the town orchestra played it in our  local  church the entire service- gave me a thumbs up immediately after the first hymn . She was really giving it a good workout  even in higher positions  / the other girl that played it wanted to keep it for a week to play in a wedding   . so perhaps it was beginners luck.  a quiz for you all . how many asymmetric  parts do you see in the violin :)  I am attaching  a photo  thank you all for your input

Tom St Pat'so.jpg

Can you post a photo of the scroll?...Looks like a looped one. I've made one like that.

Congratulations.  We all sweat what the players will say.  Sounds like you've got a winner.  :)