Sign in to follow this  
mathieu valde

Any ideas about viola model?

Label says italian, from 1980. Does not look as china made,or I'm wrong?  Sorry, I have only these 3 pictures, but I'll be happy if someone can tell about model. Any other info welcome and appreciated.1551873677544321.thumb.jpg.0f154324e58f3578ab3aaf9ead82b699.jpg1551873678019141.thumb.jpg.074fbb41234b607b5d66359659ff2340.jpg 

1551873678579327.jpg

I'm not a fan, it looks quite amateurish to me. I doubt it can be Chinese, it isn't good enough.
The proportions don't look right, although this could appear thrown off by the very strange corner shapes. The soundholes splayed in the opposite manner looks very ugly to me.

2 hours ago, Davide Sora said:

I subscribe for amateurish work, not China. Unless he is a Chinese amateur:P, amateur work is difficult to frame in a nationality

I hope not Chinese amateur. :D  

Does the label have a name that you aren't revealing? I know of one Italian violin maker (no doubt there are many more!) who took apprentices and this looks like what one might expect from such a situation--someone's first instrument, under supervision, using a teacher's patterns.

Just now, Michael Darnton said:

Does the label have a name that you aren't revealing? I know of one Italian violin maker (no doubt there are many more!) who took apprentices and this looks like what one might expect from such a situation--someone's first instrument, under supervision, using a teacher's patterns.

I have not instrument in my hands, so I can only say what have been told. On label should be written Augusto Marchetti no.18, 1980. If it is not a faked label, than it is his 18th instrument. 

18 minutes ago, Lorenzo 29 said:

The outline and scroll look  to be Gaspro da Salo-ish but those f-holes, who knows.   The have more of a Cremonese influence.  Its hard to figure out if they  were placed with the bottoms slanting inward by mistake, or if the maker was trying to copy some of the early Brescian instruments, one in particular I can think of (the Shotten Viola) that has the C-holes slanting in that way: http://yizhakschotten.com/index.html

At any rate the makers concept there does not seem to have turned out very well,  and that straight, bland varnish job doesn't seem to help.

I'm more and more start to consider it as phantasy after Brescian instruments. There could be some logic in trying to build Brescian type instrument with cremona f holes, some hybrid... :D

1 hour ago, Lorenzo 29 said:

The outline and scroll look  to be Gaspro da Salo-ish but those f-holes, who knows.   

Yes, I should have mentioned that, too.