Maestronet Forums

Help with cello strings

Lyd

I’m borrowing a cello from my aunt, it’s been sitting in a closet for upwards of 13 years. I was trying to tune it and the strings were so low, but I couldn’t tighten them anymore or they would snap. I’m pretty sure I need new strings, does anyone have any stores they recommend buying from?

Hi Lyd - can you describe the strings especially the windings at the tailpiece?.

I would slacken them one at a time, lubricate the bridge and nut grooves with a 2B pencil lead and then tighten them up to pitch. I'd be very surprised if they fail. Take care to keep the tailpiece side of the bridge square to the top plate. 

Luck edi

If you are just starting out, Jargar d and a are inexpensive and Spirocore chrome c and g won’t break the bank. That would be a fair quality set that is inexpensive. The cheapest playable set that I have used is D’addario prelude steel strings. These all shoukd be available at any local dealer or mail order house.

As to set up, get thee to a luthier if you are not experienced. Could be many things from loose seams to weak tailgut to warped bridge to fallen post, to problems in the neck or pegs.

If the strings are 13 years old, throw them away. Jargar are good Strings, but there’s no such thing as an inexpensive string. A reasonable set will cost near $200. I just put on my second set of Versum and they cost $340.

If it has a bow it needs to be rehaired, so just take the whole thing and tell the luthier you need a setup, ask for guidance and if he’s a reasonable guy, he’ll share some lore as you go.