Sign in to follow this  
PhilipKT

Peates Violin Utica NY

I did a quick google search and learned that Peates Music made and imported violins. I’m sharing because this violin appears to have gorgeous varnish( and a very bad crack) and I’m wondering if the crowd thinks it’s appealing? It comes with two bows, one a very well worn Sivori bow and another apparently unstamped. The pictures are stupid. They included several of the mute and one of the rosin. Oy...

9A2B5D8F-E0CE-4183-AA69-9DBF4FD120D4.jpeg

8839B82E-9003-4D13-974B-1D33A28A98B8.jpeg

8B033FDF-B010-43C6-A70B-428B437F972C.jpeg

Yup, saw this, and several other fiddles on "Not-Valuable".  The bottom line is that none of the auctions featured there have buyer protection plans, or dirty their hands with shipping, and typically charge the buyers for the privilege of winning.  The more I see of other on-line venues, the more I appreciate eBay.  :lol:

6 hours ago, Violadamore said:

Yup, saw this, and several other fiddles on "Not-Valuable".  The bottom line is that none of the auctions featured there have buyer protection plans, or dirty their hands with shipping, and typically charge the buyers for the privilege of winning.  The more I see of other on-line venues, the more I appreciate eBay.  :lol:

So it’s not pretty?

rats. I thought my eye was getting better. I’m a cello guy and have no interest in buying violins, but that varnish looked really nice to me.

One thing about real auction houses is that places like Skinner and Tarisio have a vested interest in being as accurate as possible. They won’t mislead anyone. eBay is full of crooks,

This is all true, but it is nice to be able to see the combined offerings of many small auction houses in one place. Living in the north east, I can go inspect anything that I seriously might be interested within a 15 - 120 minute drive, which I cannot do on eBay. I can also bid in-person and transport the item home myself.

Personal inspection is the best buyer's protection plan. :)

3 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

So it’s not pretty?

rats. I thought my eye was getting better. I’m a cello guy and have no interest in buying violins, but that varnish looked really nice to me.

Naw, it's pretty, except for the blemish on the front lower bass bout.  The flame on the back is eye-catching.  I just don't prefer the regular online auctions over eBay when it comes to buyer amenities.  :)

The wood on the back is pretty.  But I thought the varnish looked forced - into an antique look, and badly applied at that...

Or, it's been badly refinished...

11 minutes ago, Rue said:

The wood on the back is pretty.  But I thought the varnish looked forced - into an antique look, and badly applied at that...

Or it's one of the student-grade ones that Peate had anonymously made for them by a certain well-known Markneukirchen firm that loves yellow varnish.  I'm purposely leaving the name out, because I don't consider the stuff they did for Peate their best work. :)

3 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

One thing about real auction houses is that places like Skinner and Tarisio have a vested interest in being as accurate as possible. They won’t mislead anyone. eBay is full of crooks,

If you believe that, you may be in for an eventual sad awakening.  Questionable or slipshod auction house attributions have been the subject of threads here on numerous occasions.  EBay has certain standards they enforce, but demand due diligence from buyers.  I've warned folks to do their homework.

EBay, considered as a marketplace, is a major world city like LA, London, NYC, or Tokyo, and has no more weasels in residence than any of the others.  It also has the attraction of placing businesses from many different cities under one roof, with swift, reasonable shipping available, and simpler/much cheaper legal recourse than most court systems offer.  I've got a short-list of trusted suppliers on eBay, as I do for any place I do business, and a list of folks I won't deal with as well.  Some big names in many product areas are represented on eBay, and are no more (or, in some cases, less) dishonest there than they are at their brick-and-mortars.  :)

1 hour ago, Violadamore said:

If you believe that, you may be in for an eventual sad awakening.  Questionable or slipshod auction house attributions have been the subject of threads here on numerous occasions.  EBay has certain standards they enforce, but demand due diligence from buyers.  I've warned folks to do their homework.

EBay, considered as a marketplace, is a major world city like LA, London, NYC, or Tokyo, and has no more weasels in residence than any of the others.  It also has the attraction of placing businesses from many different cities under one roof, with swift, reasonable shipping available, and simpler/much cheaper legal recourse than most court systems offer.  I've got a short-list of trusted suppliers on eBay, as I do for any place I do business, and a list of folks I won't deal with as well.  Some big names in many product areas are represented on eBay, and are no more (or, in some cases, less) dishonest there than they are at their brick-and-mortars.  :)

In the past, the only musical auction houses I’ve dealt with have been Tarisio, Skinner and Sotheby’s, I think, and haven’t ever had a problem with them. I’m no expert, but I know enough to be careful. That’s why so frequently post photos here and ask for input from the gang.

If I’m interested in a particular item from a general auction house that just happens to have a cello on offer, I’ll do as much research as I can, and I’ll be careful about how much I want to risk.

I’m am usually outbid on the things I’m interested in anyway so it’s ok.

An exception is the latest T-2 auction, Which has several bows that are interesting.

8 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

Actually, my best bow was a Tarisio purchase, and  I am completely delighted with it.

My best bow (which ultimately came from a big respectable shop mentioned on MN on occasion) was purchased through a local antique shop, consigned by a parent whose teenager had gotten bored with violin study.  IMHO, some things are better bought locally after hand examination and a test drive.  :lol:

1 hour ago, duane88 said:

Looks a lot like a nicer grade of Juzek. 

If you combine what you're saying with something I said earlier, it could lead to a lot of speculation encouraging popcorn consumption.  :ph34r:

My best bow (which ultimately came from a big respectable shop mentioned on MN on occasion) was purchased through a local antique shop, consigned by a parent whose teenager had gotten bored with violin study.  IMHO, some things are better bought locally after hand examination and a test drive.  :lol:

I always look at, and send my kids to, three local shops, when we are looking for instruments. I also have done business with Barry Kolstein and Robertsons. I will always do business with local shops if possible, because they provide a tremendous and very important service. Plus, one of my violin shop guys was best man at my wedding.

my step daughter works in the fashion industry in NYC and  whenever we visit her I camp out at Tarisio, so I’ve often been able to experience widgets in person. My bow was a gamble that turned out perfectly.

If you combine what you're saying with something I said earlier, it could lead to a lot of speculation encouraging popcorn consumption.  :ph34r:

I would suggest that we bring out the Jifffy Pop, but this one isn't worth the effort. Most of the profit would be subsumed by opening, cleaning and retouching the crack.

3 hours ago, Rue said:

Can you describe why you think that? The varnish looks thick to my  eye, but not in a negative way. I’d be grateful to see what you are seeing.

I can try - and feel free to disagree!

It looks like they gobbed the varnish on - left it in the edges, where it looks dirty and obscures the purfling, and then thinned it on the body to look like wear.

10 minutes ago, Rue said:

I can try - and feel free to disagree!

It looks like they gobbed the varnish on - left it in the edges, where it looks dirty and obscures the purfling, and then thinned it on the body to look like wear.

On the back, there appears to be shading around the purfling, and the purfling itself is obscured, but to my eyes that looks like bad photography(all the pictures appear slightly out of focus) the same is true of the front, so maybe the varnish flowed to the low spots and puddled there? Or maybe it was deliberate? Or maybe just a poor photo?

on the front, the treble side varnish appears thinner and the bass side looks quite thick and is much more reflective. Perhaps that elicited the comment about possible revarnishing?

im certainly not going to disagree. I’m here to gain knowledge, not demonstrate how little I currently have.

:-)