Sign in to follow this  
JRyn

Who is Sean Peak?

I occasionally come across violas made by someone named "Sean Peak" supposedly from Chicago. Living in Chicago, I've never even heard of him? His instruments seem to be Tertis models, somewhat crudely done. Does anyone know if this is a real person or just someone sticking an American label into a factory instrument? By the sheer quantity that I come across, my guess in the later.

Sean Peak?  Do you perhaps mean Jean Pique?  If so, there is a C. Jean Pique violin made in the workshops of William Lee Harris in Chicago.  Might be a trade name?  Not too sure.

I've met a couple dealers who claim he's a real person, but I have yet to see any proof of that. I think they're actually pretty decent sounding violas for the money - but I think Jay Haide violas are significantly better (and cheaper).

I'd hate to speculate, but I am almost certain that "Sean Peak" is some sort of pseudonym. Does anyone know where these instruments are being wholesaled from? I've seen similar looking instruments from William Harris Lee, some even with the name "Jean Pique" ?!?!?! Something smells a bit fishy to me... 

These dealers say Sean Peak is a real person... Well all instruments are made by "real people"... Most of these instruments look very Chinese to me and I would be very surprised if these instruments are more than varnished and adjusted factory instruments.

I'm curious about this too, but I had the idea that it may be something Bill Weaver is doing - he mentions these as to-the-trade on his site.

The Jay Haide cellos are great (my daughter has had more than one) but I've never heard one of their violas that I've loved.

Could be wrong person but,  In the Hilliard Ohio (Columbus) area there was a fellow by the name of Sichuan Peak who built primarily violas.  I heard from a friend of his son, that he sent them to Chicago to be varnished where they were sold.  I am not sure through what outlet.  I have not heard anything locally about him, nor did I ever find a website.  I believe he has moved but not sure where to.  Could be the same person, or not.

7 hours ago, StanY said:

I'm curious about this too, but I had the idea that it may be something Bill Weaver is doing - he mentions these as to-the-trade on his site.

The Jay Haide cellos are great (my daughter has had more than one) but I've never heard one of their violas that I've loved.

I asked Potters Violins about it and the response:

"To the best of our knowledge, they’re produced for us from the Violin House of Weaver for the past ten years or so" 

7 hours ago, StanY said:

Their Maggini and Bajoni model violas are significantly better than their Strad model violas, in my opinion. I think they should phase out their Strad model and replace it with a more popular model, like Bros. Amati for instance

Sichan Peak, also known as Sean Peak, is a real maker. He went to the CSVM and worked along with Tetsuo Matsuda at William Harris Lee a long time ago. He doesn’t advertise, as he has a steady demand for his violas already. I’m not sure if he has indeed moved but he’s still making violas for the Violin House of Weaver that are advertised on Weaver’s website. 

1 hour ago, The Violin Beautiful said:

Sichan Peak, also known as Sean Peak, is a real maker. He went to the CSVM and worked along with Tetsuo Matsuda at William Harris Lee a long time ago. He doesn’t advertise, as he has a steady demand for his violas already. I’m not sure if he has indeed moved but he’s still making violas for the Violin House of Weaver that are advertised on Weaver’s website. 

Thanks for clearing this up!