Maestronet Forums

Who is Joannes Februnet?

viola_license_revoked

People who fake labels have a propensity to stain them brown/glue sand or dirt to them/distress the edges of a label. None of this happens to a normal piece of paper that has been minding it's own business for 200 years inside some violin. Thus one can be quite sure that it isn't "original", in violin maker vernacular a "Fahrkarte"

6 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

People who fake labels have a propensity to stain them brown/glue sand or dirt to them/distress the edges of a label. None of this happens to a normal piece of paper that has been minding it's own business for 200 years inside some violin. Thus one can be quite sure that it isn't "original", in violin maker vernacular a "Fahrkarte"

Ah okay, didn't know that term. Thanks for enlightening me.

Fahrkarte = "subway ticket." The pins that I've referred to on most Frebrunets I've seen are ebony. From the little I can see on your photos, this violin doesn't have much in common with those violins regarding thos details (button, purfling channel, pins) but absent any full photos, couldn't say much else.

3 hours ago, Michael Appleman said:

Fahrkarte = "subway ticket." The pins that I've referred to on most Frebrunets I've seen are ebony. From the little I can see on your photos, this violin doesn't have much in common with those violins regarding thos details (button, purfling channel, pins) but absent any full photos, couldn't say much else.

Thanks alot for the explanation. I can't provide any additional photos yet, but I'm gonna have it in my hands soon and will take pictuers then. Someone in France is offering me this violin, but I don't know if I'm gonna actually buy it or not, yet. I'm waiting for him to come to my city and give the instrument to me for further examination. As soon as I'll have my hands on it I'm gonna show you the pictures I'll take. Thanks again.

I can't find too many Frebrunet violins on the internet for comparison, do you have a source for me? That would be so great :)

@Blank face @martin swan LOL :D ... Actually no. That guy comes from a town near Paris.  And the "Derazey" comes from a friend of my friend, somewhere more or less northern, something like between Paris and Strasbourg, if I'm not mistaken. Since I have a guess what you are referring to regarding Southern France I have to mention that that friend of my friend, beside the fact, he isn't southern french, didn't want any money for the "Derazey", so he didn't wanna enrich himself by deliberately selling a dubious violin, he wanted to give it to us completely for free, for our practicing plans. But I told my friend to give him 50€, which is nothing really. So we more or less got it for free.

Funny story, I got offered a violin from yet another guy in France some while ago, but didn't buy it, because he was from southern France. But I kinda regret it, because it was a beautiful violin and the maker/the person who supposedly made the violin was from Lyon, which is southern, too, so it wouldn't be necessarily unnatural to find a violin of that maker in southern France, but I still didn't accept the offer, because the seller was southern french :s.

(I kinda feel like as if I had discriminated a person, because of where he's from. I don't like that feeling)

Although, I think, I know what you're referring to, could you share some more info on that southern french dubious violin faking gang? If I remember correctly, it's an interesting story.

On 3/13/2019 at 3:44 PM, Michael Appleman said:

I expect the ribs will be in a channel and there are often black

On July7 2020 I clumsily posted many pictures here of an old violin I had acquired. Through a lot of expert help I believe I have a Frebrunet. I'am still very grateful to everyone who helped me. The violin is very important to me and the history of France at that time has been truly fascinating. Thank you again Michael.