Sign in to follow this  
sospiri

I spy with my little eye....

12 hours ago, mysticpaw said:

Sneaky little critters :o

Especially if they are already in the wood when you start carving. Even worse I suppose if the beetles emerge after the violin is already sold, which might be the case here hence the refitted saddle?

Is it what it purports to be though?

Would be interesting to see if there are any tracks on the inside. I had a very old Fussen violin once that had only a few holes on the c bout, but when I took the top off the worms had travelled all the way round from the bottom block via the linings !!! 

The violin looks right … the bow … I very much doubt it :)

I own an instrument by Mr. Lanaro and have visited him in his workshop in Padua. This is not made by him. This is an obvious counterfeit as the varnish of this period was a light orange over a yellow base. Also, the label looks like a poorly done copy. The paper is brown and the border is too large. The font is off and the label should be signed. More importantly, this style of label wasn't adopted until later. The scroll doesn't match the long body and small turn of Lanaro's instruments. Lanaro's corners are also very sharp and symmetrical as he used an outside mold. The quality of this ebay violin makes me believe it is by a Romanian copyist.

4 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

Just looking at the scroll and pegbox, it's nothing like the ones on Tarisio, which are consistent.

Hi Bill,

Do you see a similarity though with the Tarisio archived violin of 1970 ?

The head looks a little bit more the same in that one, but I don't think could be him on a bad day is a good way to go about it :)  If the '70 is real there are probably lots of indications.  Tariso photos are awful.  They show outlines great, but there's no depth anywhere at all.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 5:39 AM, JRyn said:

I own an instrument by Mr. Lanaro and have visited him in his workshop in Padua. This is not made by him. This is an obvious counterfeit as the varnish of this period was a light orange over a yellow base. Also, the label looks like a poorly done copy. The paper is brown and the border is too large. The font is off and the label should be signed. More importantly, this style of label wasn't adopted until later. The scroll doesn't match the long body and small turn of Lanaro's instruments. Lanaro's corners are also very sharp and symmetrical as he used an outside mold. The quality of this ebay violin makes me believe it is by a Romanian copyist.

I suppose the seller knows this too, otherwise he wouldn't be selling it on ebay, but in a major auction house.

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:44 AM, sospiri said:

I suppose the seller knows this too, otherwise he wouldn't be selling it on ebay, but in a major auction house.

If it's relisted because of influences on this board, I find that enough to put me off everything listed on any auction house. It's got damage, at the tailpiece, caused by damage to the sick orange varnish not insulated against woodmite. It's a typical piece made by a very good craftsperson in the sixties when everyone had a look at the messiah and did a crisp varnish. It's nothing like Romanian of the sixties. The wood is bare inside typical Italianate French spirit varnish. But better varnished than German. So either French nasal rubbish or Italian nasal rubbish. Harsh, loud Italian junk, I'd say. Outside mould? Oh god yes. Impossible to play, like most 60s junk. Sorry but better get it as it's going for cheaper now. Well done!

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 11:52 PM, morgana said:

If it's relisted because of influences on this board, I find that enough to put me off everything listed on any auction house. It's got damage, at the tailpiece, caused by damage to the sick orange varnish not insulated against woodmite. It's a typical piece made by a very good craftsperson in the sixties when everyone had a look at the messiah and did a crisp varnish. It's nothing like Romanian of the sixties. The wood is bare inside typical Italianate French spirit varnish. But better varnished than German. So either French nasal rubbish or Italian nasal rubbish. Harsh, loud Italian junk, I'd say. Outside mould? Oh god yes. Impossible to play, like most 60s junk. Sorry but better get it as it's going for cheaper now. Well done!

Yes, I think it was re-listed because of this thread, because the final bid was not paid. I don't know what it sold for in the re-listing.

This violin has woodworm tunnels which are probably quite extensive, we only see the most visible ones.

Perhaps the  bidder in the original listing read this thread before or after bidding? I think that some people go on ebay to look for scams and false listings and make final bids which they don't pay for just to give the seller a piece of their own medicine. But also, if you were bidding and you googled the name, this thread comes up, so either scenario is possible.

But there are much worse sellers than this guy.

7 hours ago, sospiri said:

But there are much worse sellers than this guy.

Yup, thousands, probably.  And a great many don't even sell violins.  The fake antiquity sellers, the counterfeit watch sellers, the Amazon resellers on eBay, the various drop-ship catalog resellers who lie constantly by saying that they make what they sell, the list is disgustingly long.  Just don't bid on anything you're not an expert on, or that you can see is totally bogus for one reason or another.  Bolt at the first false claim or blurry photograph.  EBay is not a safe place for the inexperienced and the gullible, many of whom don't even realize that they've been had.  :rolleyes:

OTOH, for many like me, it's the most wonderful cornucopia of stuff in the world.  :)

Hi Viol luv, hope you are well.

That's quite a good concise reconing about online mass produced rubbish and the bosses of buying cheap, selling on strategies.

Old violins are getting older and damaged violins are left to get more damaged, so there's bargains out on eBay IF you know that you can work on an unseen to mess for long months and turn around a profit in a niche market.

It takes allsorts to make a world.

I hate surgery on junk wood, since having major surgery.

I look bows now to restore than violins.

But slowing down due to health mainly.

Honestly, dealers in this shark pool takes either dedication and realising that you are not going to be a millionaire EVER, doing restoration unless you print your own certificates....

Edited by morgana
more to say

Hopefully if I get to my birthday, then I will buy a printing press, some embossed grey paper, a decent camera, lighting, and ask £500 to certify bows.

I wouldn't obviously, as well as not interested in a huge rip off, and hugely wasteful way of scamming both in time, money energy and lack of a certificate of insanity.

Nobody sane would do that...would they?

There's a nice old Ruggeri on eBay at the moment btw. Well, it probably will end up being a nice old Ruggeri...as sold by some mad person.

Seriously I don't know if it is or isn't. It's front looks like but back look not like.

Blurry photos or not, junk is junk.

1 hour ago, sospiri said:

Well, you can't say the pictures are blurry..............  :lol::rolleyes:

Seller ineptitude (like posting all-black photos) is a whole other issue.  What I love are the occasional antique and collectible dealers who offer something they accidentally picked up that's totally outside their niche of expertise, and because they're already drowning in stuff to sell that they know about, don't do their homework to properly showcase the item.  I've gotten some serious bargains that way, but it's a rare happening one must hunt for. :)

16 hours ago, Violadamore said:

Well, you can't say the pictures are blurry..............  :lol::rolleyes:

Seller ineptitude (like posting all-black photos) is a whole other issue.  What I love are the occasional antique and collectible dealers who offer something they accidentally picked up that's totally outside their niche of expertise, and because they're already drowning in stuff to sell that they know about, don't do their homework to properly showcase the item.  I've gotten some serious bargains that way, but it's a rare happening one must hunt for. :)

Lens cap left on?? Doesn't the seller even check the photos?

My best find was a landscape painting which was correctly labelled as 19th century, but unsigned. The artist put his intials in the undergrowth and signed the back. I found the invoice yesterday, I paid £70 plus 20% commission.  Super bargain.

On 9/30/2019 at 11:19 AM, sospiri said:

I can see it being bought at an auction in Venice, as claimed.  I'm sure that freighters from many countries unload there.  :ph34r:  :lol:

9 hours ago, Violadamore said:

I can see it being bought at an auction in Venice, as claimed.  I'm sure that freighters from many countries unload there.  :ph34r:  :lol:

Yes, especially China and Romania.

And now for something completely different:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-Fine-carved-German-Violin-Circa-1901/163885237242?hash=item26285243fa:g:4vgAAOSwKz5dkZfz

What can I say, except God save the Queen and the House of Hanover.

47 minutes ago, sospiri said:

Yes, especially China and Romania.

And now for something completely different:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-Fine-carved-German-Violin-Circa-1901/163885237242?hash=item26285243fa:g:4vgAAOSwKz5dkZfz

What can I say, except God save the Queen and the House of Hanover.

You read between the lines well.  :lol:

Play that thing, and have "We are not amused" running through one's mind?  No way...........   :ph34r:

38 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

You read between the lines well.  :lol:

Play that thing, and have "We are not amused" running through one's mind?  No way...........   :ph34r:

Maybe this quote of hers is more appropriate?

"I would venture to warn against too great intimacy with artists as it is very seductive and a little dangerous."