Sign in to follow this  
Bill Merkel

short "masterclass" with great cellist

Youtube is a gold mine for this kind of stuff. For a lesson in humility, check out Lynn doing the Chopin Polonaise (or anything else!)

Really fantastic. Every Bach solo work is a Universe of potential expression and color. I do recall seeing Lara St. John performing the Chaconne from Bach's 2nd Partita at our local Border's bookstore in 1996 (hawking her new CD) and she rolled the chords. It was a delightful experience for my 7 year old granddaughter who had been taking violin lessons from me for 6 months by then. and was delighted meeting Ms. St. John, exchanging a few words and getting her Bach CD signed.

I have an L St. J story too.  I went to a see her as part of some kind of show, don't remember much about it.  I sent her or somebody connected to her an email saying you would fill the place by yourself if you gave a recital.  So next year, she came to the same place and gave a recital.

Andrew, interesting that you saw L St J at a borders hawking her new cd. I went to see her at our local Borders. Guess she was making the rounds.

I luv her performances...awesome...

I have autographed CDs...^_^

She’s sooooooo good!  Oddly intimadating... watched this with my son.  After a brief pause, he said, “yeah, I guess those sailors were a rustic bunch.”

4 hours ago, ClefLover said:

he said, “yeah, I guess those sailors were a rustic bunch.”

This one is full rustic sailor.  I don't think this is stupid, out of context though, but gives me fresh ears.  It makes me want to hear it played by some Irish fiddler using his sound and inflections instead of classical ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSW8JZHXgvg

37 minutes ago, Bill Merkel said:

This one is full rustic sailor.  I don't think this is stupid, out of context though, but gives me fresh ears.  It makes me want to hear it played by some Irish fiddler using his sound and inflections instead of classical ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSW8JZHXgvg

I think tap dancing should be an Olympic event.  I once took a tap dancing class.  Just one, even though paid for 6.  I decided after the first one that I was going to excercise and get into shape first.  That was over ten years ago. 

^On NCIS, McGee is in high school and wants to be a tap dancer.  His rustic sailor father, "the admiral", wants him to join the Navy instead.  "The Navy made me the man I am today".  The admiral throws away McGee's tap shoes.  There's some conflict and resolution and at the end the admiral gives his own tap shoes he's been saving, presumably hiding, all these years to McGee.  It was a surprising ending.  McGee compromises between tap dancing and the Navy and becomes a federal agent :)

15 hours ago, ClefLover said:

I think tap dancing should be an Olympic event.  I once took a tap dancing class.  Just one, even though paid for 6.  I decided after the first one that I was going to excercise and get into shape first.  That was over ten years ago. 

You must be in great shape by now!