Sign in to follow this  
David Afford

Linings

I have made one violin in the past ( about twenty tears ago) and am now interested again. I believe I soaked ling pieces in water before bending and I tried that this time but the lining material ( spruce it appears) tends to split? Should I soak the linings in “boiling water” before bending? Or perhaps my bending iron isn’t hot enough? Any help in this would be appreciated.

Edited by David Afford

Entirely possible your iron isn’t hot enough. Should be hot enough for water droplets to skitter off. Just like for ribs.

Also, are you using a bending strap?

1 hour ago, JohnCockburn said:

Entirely possible your iron isn’t hot enough. Should be hot enough for water droplets to skitter off. Just like for ribs.

Also, are you using a bending strap?

I go all the way to 350 degrees F for linings because of the thickness.  That may be more than necessary, but it has worked without any scorching.  But I use the same standard as John when it comes to ribs.

I use quartersawn American sycamore.  It looks cool, and the interlocking grain makes it nearly impossible to split!  Get it wet, a hot iron, like John and Julian said, and usually they bend like butter.  Sometimes it is more effort.  But they don't snap.

I broke a LOT of spruce ones and gave up on it, and some light weight, really cool looking rainbow yellow poplar too.  I just go back to the sycamore.  Who needs grief?

I think it was spruce that I used,  no problems.  I made them 2mm thick.  Did not soak them,  just wet them on the surface faces the bending iron.   Used an old leather belt for a backing strap.   Bending iron was an iron pipe heated by a propane torch till water spits off it.     I thought it would be difficult but bending ribs and linings turned out to be the easy part!  

edit:  I tried using copper pipe but it got way too hot and burned the wood.   

What about using fresh spruce for linings? It is much easier to bend and the iron will actually dry it out...

Thanks folks> I’ve been pre occupied with some heath issues but I appreciate all your feedback. I remember using the hot pipe with the propane torch before. Now I am using an electric iron of my own making so It’s probably not hot enough would be my bet.

I’ll try it again. HAve to have a pace maker so I will have time while healing out from that I suppose.

Thanks