Goran74

7/8 violin plans

Hello. I am planning to make a 7/8 violin. Are there any available plans to buy? For example 7/8 from Amati or Stradivari's King Maximillian? I was searching a lot on the internet but without success. Of course there are some big editions of master makers of tge past but prices are too high for me. Thank you a lot.

3 minutes ago, scordatura said:

I would take a Strad or Guarneri plan (from the Strad magazine) and reduce it proportionally.

Thank you. You know more for sure and I have little experience. I read again about this method. Does it have success? (I have strad posters)

Zdravo Goran,

Here is a pdf from Alan Goldblatt's website that has measurements for all size violins.  You can search for more information to collaborate this information but at least it will put you in the ball park.  You can make some small changes to suit your own style or to modify the tone if you have some experience in this area.

Violin_Dim_Goldblatt.pdf

53 minutes ago, catnip said:

Zdravo Goran,

Here is a pdf from Alan Goldblatt's website that has measurements for all size violins.  You can search for more information to collaborate this information but at least it will put you in the ball park.  You can make some small changes to suit your own style or to modify the tone if you have some experience in this area.

Violin_Dim_Goldblatt.pdf

Drago mi je i veliki pozdrav!

I have these measurements and some from other resources (Strobel etc). I just like to know if I could see a 7/8 violin study from Italian makers. Otherwise, I will work only by recalculating and reduce a 4/4 violin. 

12 hours ago, Urban Luthier said:

Both the Andrea Amati violin plans published by the Strad are 7/8th I think

Thank you for answer. I have the one Amati poster but it is 4/4.

On 3/7/2019 at 8:57 AM, Goran74 said:

Hello. I am planning to make a 7/8 violin. Are there any available plans to buy? For example 7/8 from Amati or Stradivari's King Maximillian? I was searching a lot on the internet but without success. Of course there are some big editions of master makers of tge past but prices are too high for me. Thank you a lot.

I made a hand full of 7/8th size once.  The one thing I wish I would of done is to use 33mm or higher ribs for more volume and to rid the grown up 3/4 size sound.  Most or all were well under 32mm high.  I simply wasn't thinking ahead.

Something else that can help for more volume is to use heavier sg belly wood and graduate the outer areas to what seems to be paper thin and use lower outer plate edge heights.  Remove the mass - you won't need it because of the smaller box size.  I used 47 and 48 sg wood simply because that is all I had on hand. 

I don't care for the 7/8th size sound.  With a few rightly, justified adjustments during the making process these can rival bigger 4/4 instruments volume wise imo.  

19 hours ago, uncle duke said:

would of done is to use 33mm or higher ribs for more volume and to rid the grown up 3/4 size sound. 

I was studying the Amati's violin that suggested Urban Luthier. The ribs are not so high. Also at the research "the violin and its reduced sizes", ribs are 30mm. But if you say that height matters, I will keep it in mind. Thank you

10 hours ago, Goran74 said:

I was studying the Amati's violin that suggested Urban Luthier. The ribs are not so high. Also at the research "the violin and its reduced sizes", ribs are 30mm. But if you say that height matters, I will keep it in mind. Thank you

I think if you making a 7/8, everything should be in proportion. Putting extra deep ribs on seems to defeat the point of the exercise.

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 3:57 PM, Goran74 said:

Hello. I am planning to make a 7/8 violin. 

If I may caution:

I had a really nice antique Saxon 7/8 violin, which I restored to the best of my ability, sparing neither time nor cost. I then hung it in one of my cupboards of violins in my showroom, where it hung for 15 years until I found someone to buy it (at a discount).

Although I have no reason to discourage someone from making a 7/8 violin, if this is how you earn your living, I would suggest that you make sure that you first have a commission from someone who is commited to buy it afterwards.

On 3/7/2019 at 9:05 AM, Nik Kyklo said:

Drago mi je i veliki pozdrav!

I have these measurements and some from other resources (Strobel etc). I just like to know if I could see a 7/8 violin study from Italian makers. Otherwise, I will work only by recalculating and reduce a 4/4 violin. 

You might try this resource for Italian sources.   It has measurements for all sizes including 7/8 in all dimensions:   https://www.cremonatools.com/quaderno-n-13-il-violino-ed-i-suoi-formati-italian-text.html

The translation in the site description is:  "  This book presents the results of research by the "Group of lute studies" on the dimensions of the so-called "reduced or study violins" with the definition, in objective terms, of the formats of the violins."

JB

Oh, I have the book and it has 13 removable tables with all the dimensions listed and a scaling grid which allows you to copy the model of a Stradivari model violin in any size.  Never used it, got it at an estate sale but it looks useful for your purposes.    J-

On 3/15/2019 at 12:47 PM, Terry Colley said:

If you have access to an A3 size photo copier then do copies of your Full size plans at 87.5% this should give you 7/8 sizes

Hi Terry, it doesn't work like that, because a 7/8 isn't literally 7/8 of a full size. Scaling to 0.875 will give you more like a 1/2 size.