Sign in to follow this  
Thomas Coleman

tonewood storage

I know this has been discussed here before (It must have), but a search engine didn't help me find it.  So....

I am aware of things like Equilibrium Moisture Content (ECM) and the difference between dry wood and seasoned wood.  I am aware that wood should be stored in the environment that it will be worked in for a certain time period (until it reaches ECM) before use.  But what about longer term storage?  I am in the middle of relocating my workspace.  My new bench room has nice ambience and plenty of room to work but very little room for long term storage.  My idea is to store the majority of my tonewood in an unheated/uncooled garage until a month or two before I use it and then bring it up to the climate controlled benchroom to acclimate and come to ECM.  I live in northern Illinois where it can get very cold/dry in the winter and very warm/humid in the summer.  Do any of you do something similar?  Am I over thinking this?  Bad idea? Good idea?  Thanks for your input, I appreciate your time.

My location and shop situation is very similar to yours and I have been storing my tonewood

in unheated spaces for many years and then bringing it into my climate controlled shop a

year or so before I need it. There was an article in the Strad years ago by a French scientist

who thought that temperature and humidity cycling were a very important part of the seasoning process.

Garage works great.  My father is a fine furniture maker and has a lumber rack on one wall of his garage full of thousands of board feet of every hardwood you can imagine.  He even lets me pilfer now and then.