Sign in to follow this  
PhilipKT

What kind of wood or effect?

14 hours ago, Wood Butcher said:

Sorry to say, but with all those brown marks I find it really ugly looking. I’d never consider using maple like this personally.

I hear what you are saying. Mind you, that last wedge has not been planed, it is actually very clear with the exception of those fine, vertical threads.

Fortunately I get plenty of logs without it, but when I cut in to a well figured mature log and see that, my heart sinks a bit.

On 3/6/2019 at 8:18 PM, SingingTree Tonewood said:

wedge3.jpg

One thing that comes to mind is that during the early growing season a late refreeze comes through the area and freezes water that trying to make it's way upwards from the lower system of the tree.  Or a really, really early fall freeze trapping water on it's way downwards.

After looking at a section of wrc I have here I was going to mention that these marks were just mineral streaking caused by the dirt but this maple does look different than the cedar hence my "I really don't know either" reply.