Sign in to follow this  
FoxMitchell

Anton Schroetter Cello Maker Info?

Hey folks! Could I get some info on this cello? The label says...

Anton Schroetter

Geigenbaumeister

Mittenwald / Bayern

Made in German

It's been suggested it's something from the 70's or 80's perhaps.

Here are some photos!

20190303_121011.thumb.jpg.90672c3c40dd3221302de528bc883a45.jpg 20190303_121020.thumb.jpg.84a4c7b03face7d805ca439263797e82.jpg 20190303_121030.thumb.jpg.74cd76863ca08827bd7037d693efdeb4.jpg 20190303_121054.thumb.jpg.646bf3cf8877169b2b0734c8acccee19.jpg 20190303_121101.thumb.jpg.682af8d13b1a6eb63952307f7dfd906a.jpg 20190303_121131.thumb.jpg.bb14b70dfb4b9d183a9c10c1d31e6e10.jpg 20190303_121150.thumb.jpg.0b26f5b0d5e335a9f73e53ee2cef81c0.jpg 

20190303_121434.thumb.jpg.51da9f1dbb6278d982f9a763e6621dd8.jpg

20190303_120903.thumb.jpg.a3f6be608605fc6e8d282f5680f0f24f.jpg

Thanks!   :)

Back in the 70's I worked at an old well established downtown music store in a large mid western city

where they imported large quantities of instruments such as yours, each with a small label stating in

misaligned typewriting ' made in communist czechoslovokia '. My job was to moisten each label with a

cotton ball held by a long forceps and then peel each label out and replace it with a larger, well printed

label stating 'Anton Schrotter Geigenbaumeister made in Germany '.

I believe I still have a stack of those labels tucked away somewhere.

There really was a violin maker called Anton Schrötter who worked in Gossengrün (today Krajková) near Schönbach from about 1930. He passed awy in Neunkirchen am Brand, near Bubenreuth in 1952. Neither town is anywhere near Mittenwald, so I find Donbarzino’s post interesting and entiely unsurprising. I believe the name was also misused in Mittenwald by Gewa. I have always found it a funny name to misapropriate since „Schrott“ means scrap/rubbish in German.  

Most ,if not all, Schroetter instruments from that era came from the Roderick Paesold shop in Germany. Some of the upper end instruments with the Schroetter label were from the Klier shop in Germany. They were sold as Schroetter instruments or sometimes Mathias Thoma instruments. They all came out of the same box.

The explanations for the name are fascinating, I have seen many of those instruments, and they are all solid good sounding instruments, and in North Texas, they go for between two and $3000, depending on condition. Yours appears to have a crack in one of the lower ribs, or perhaps that’s just the lighting in the photograph.

4 hours ago, donbarzino said:

Back in the 70's I worked at an old well established downtown music store in a large mid western city

where they imported large quantities of instruments such as yours, each with a small label stating in

misaligned typewriting ' made in communist czechoslovokia '. My job was to moisten each label with a

cotton ball held by a long forceps and then peel each label out and replace it with a larger, well printed

label stating 'Anton Schrotter Geigenbaumeister made in Germany '.

I believe I still have a stack of those labels tucked away somewhere.

In the 70s, wouldn’t the label, even if it was itself fake, have been labeled “west Germany”?

1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

In the 70s, wouldn’t the label, even if it was itself fake, have been labeled “west Germany”?

not if you wanted prospective purchasers to believe it was made before the Second World War.

If you do something like that and send it through the mail the postal inspector is liable to get involved and you're in big trouble if he's out of things to do.  I used to prefer to have things sent to me through U.S. mail for just that reason.

Yes, I hear you, but the instruments had already been imported into the US with correct labelling as Czech and someone with a glue pot and a stack of Schroetter labels was happily relabelling them as German. The 'crime' was already committed. As an aside Almost every Ebay violin violates the labelling laws doesn't it and many of those are delivered in the mail?

4 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

A little off topic, but I'll raise a question here about labeling laws: I have a "da Salo" model Höfner violin labeled "made in Germany". Höfner was manufacturing in Schönbach (Czechoslovakia) until after World War II.  I have assumed my violin is an early Bubenreuth product (1950's), on the assumption that by 1960 or so the labels would have to specify West Germany. Does anyone know when the phrase West Germany became mandatory?  (This violin, by the way, was shipped not to the USA but to India.) Thanks for any info.

5 hours ago, Televet said:

not if you wanted prospective purchasers to believe it was made before the Second World War.

No, west Germany was 1948-1989

oh I misunderstood your comment. I get it now.

Edited by PhilipKT
Oops

Televet, I was just thinking of the exposure if you were relabeling and mailing both.  The rest, too murky for me.  Are you a veterinarian with a TV show?

Amazing stuff! Thanks guys!

10 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

There really was a violin maker called Anton Schrötter who worked in Gossengrün (today Krajková) near Schönbach from about 1930. He passed awy in Neunkirchen am Brand, near Bubenreuth in 1952. Neither town is anywhere near Mittenwald, so I find Donbarzino’s post interesting and entiely unsurprising. I believe the name was also misused in Mittenwald by Gewa. I have always found it a funny name to misapropriate since „Schrott“ means scrap/rubbish in German.  

It's awesome knowing multiple languages, and finding words that mean amusing things in other languages.  ;)

7 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

The explanations for the name are fascinating, I have seen many of those instruments, and they are all solid good sounding instruments, and in North Texas, they go for between two and $3000, depending on condition. Yours appears to have a crack in one of the lower ribs, or perhaps that’s just the lighting in the photograph.

No cracks thankfully. Just open seams and lots and lots of scuffs, but the ribs are pretty distorted.

8 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

German products were always in general labelled as Made in Germany, what was enough to be legal for international standards (and this obligation wasn't an american invention at all, but first introduced in the UK). Just to separate the alleged better products of the Bundesrepublik (Federal Republic or West Germany) from these of the Deutsche Demokratische Republik (DDR/GDR/East Germany) some firms added a West/Western/W before the word Germany, but deliberate only.

Otherwise products from 1949 on could be also signed Federal Republic of...or German Democratic Republic. All these nominations were possible, used and legal.

14 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

:D:D:D:D:D:D

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 9:18 PM, Bill Merkel said:

Televet, I was just thinking of the exposure if you were relabeling and mailing both.  The rest, too murky for me.  Are you a veterinarian with a TV show?

Thread drift warning! Close, a veterinarian and telemark skier, just dragged the forum name across from another place when I joined here. I kinda like the complete irrelevance of it. It indirectly warns people to take anything I might say about violins with a large pinch of salt :D

That label, bearing the name Anton Schroetter, was very common in Mittenwald shop instruments produced in the early 1950s.  It is generally believed there was no such person, but who knows?  My original student cello was an 'Anton Schroetter', which my mom purchased used circa 1958 for $500 (a lot of money at the time).  These are carved instruments, and if set up well they can be entirely serviceable.  I still have it and use it as a practice cello in my second home. 

2 hours ago, raspritz said:

That label, bearing the name Anton Schroetter, was very common in Mittenwald shop instruments produced in the early 1950s.  It is generally believed there was no such person, but who knows?  My original student cello was an 'Anton Schroetter', which my mom purchased used circa 1958 for $500 (a lot of money at the time).  These are carved instruments, and if set up well they can be entirely serviceable.  I still have it and use it as a practice cello in my second home. 

I agree, I was looking at the wood and varnish, and I realized that I have helped my own students by perhaps seven or eight of those over the last several years. I thought they were Stohr Instruments, but their origin doesn’t really matter, everyone I’ve played has been a fine instrument and they’ve all gone for between two and $3000, which is an excellent buy.

A couple of the instruments I have brokered have actually been Stohr Cellos, and I would Be reluctant to say that one was better than the other.

I got a violin thas has this label:

Andrew Schroetter

Year 1990

But still get a error processing file -200

trying to upload the picture

:wacko:

2 hours ago, Riodifirenze said:

I got a violin thas has this label:

Andrew Schroetter

Year 1990

But still get a error processing file -200

trying to upload the picture

:wacko:

IMG_20190307_170213_DRO500k.thumb.jpg.e001f7ee1ee7c2cfc367d808335350a1.jpg

so, here it is, Anton Schroetter  seems to have had a relative... even exactly the same font.:ph34r: