Sign in to follow this  
Ernest Martel

String breakage while performing...

I've seen a back up guitarist at a fiddle contest break a string and change it before the tune ended. It was fun to watch how quickly he did it. Lucky for him and the fiddler there were other guitarists on stage.

I saw one of the second violins change  a string during a concert, what impressed me was that while doing so she did the page turn for her desk partner, carried on with the change and then came back in.

I used to use Helicores on my old viola, but they often broke, occasionally after as little as two weeks' playing. (Under my third finger/1st pos... not the viola's fault). Even Dominants would break once in a while. In fact, in a summer concert with an orchestra I was subbing with, I once broke a C string, replaced it with an old C-string I had as a back-up, (was under severe financial constraints at the time), broke that, and had to borrow a string from another member of the section. Very embarrassing; put me right off Helicores. These days I'm using Evah Pirazzi Golds, and have yet to break one. Of course, they go a bit dull and start growing corrosion crystals out of the D string that damage the fingerboard, so there's no panacea. Never broke a Larsen A, but did break the odd Jargar, before switching to Larsen in about 1990 or so. Our principal cello probably breaks a string or two per season. It happens, if you play a lot, sweat a lot, and really dig in. And live next to the sea. In a soup of industrial pollution.

I've only been to a few guitar solos - and have seen a string break. Same long-drawn out replacement issue...so I imagine it happens a lot.

And my question is: why would you not have a spare guitar on hand for a concert? I know all these guys have more than one guitar...

P.s. is this guy drinking beer???

4 hours ago, Rue said:

P.s. is this guy drinking beer???

I saw Aly Bain and Johnny Cunningham play a concert at which they had water glasses that they filled with Scotch from a bottle on the stage-that was replaced twice during the oncert-and consumed it like I was drinking my cider. Didn't seem to harm the music, and it might have gotten better!

As for spre guitars, I have a friend who was a guitar tech for one of the big Seattle bands and when a string broke, he brought out the replacement instrument, gave it to the person, changed the broken string off stage, then gave the instrument back at the end of the song. 

John Martyn (of fond memory) drank a lot of beer, did a lot of other stuff one wouldn't necessarily condone and played some wonderful music. His album Solid Air is one of my favourites

20 minutes ago, matesic said:

John Martyn (of fond memory) drank a lot of beer, did a lot of other stuff one wouldn't necessarily condone and played some wonderful music. His album Solid Air is one of my favourites

Well, we can't all be choir boys. He was amazing on the Transatlantic Sessions too.

On 3/3/2019 at 1:46 PM, duane88 said:

I saw Aly Bain and Johnny Cunningham play a concert at which they had water glasses that they filled with Scotch from a bottle on the stage-that was replaced twice during the oncert-and consumed it like I was drinking my cider. Didn't seem to harm the music, and it might have gotten better!

As for spre guitars, I have a friend who was a guitar tech for one of the big Seattle bands and when a string broke, he brought out the replacement instrument, gave it to the person, changed the broken string off stage, then gave the instrument back at the end of the song. 

Well - to me that's what you should do.  Doesn't matter so much if it's a gig in a small bar, but for a larger audience?

I also have a drink once in a while, so I'm not some rabid prohibitionist - and I know drugs are part of the culture, but still - I personally have no desire to see a sloshed musician...and even less to pay to see them getting sloshed...but, each to their own! 

Tea anyone?  I've been practicing my pinky raise...

Edited by Rue
Confused finger for shears...>:(

Since the string in the first video broke during tuning, not during playing, I would look first for a problem with the instrument, like a sharp edge on the tuner, or an upper nut groove which was too tight or not lubricated adequately. Most violinists know to lubricate the grooves on bridges and upper nuts regularly. Do guitarists?

15 minutes ago, lpr5184 said:

I'm curious to know how the violinist lost the hair on her bow all at once.

Looks like the hair pulled out of the thread winding at the tip. Somebody did a bad rehair. ;)

12 hours ago, lpr5184 said:

I'm curious to know how the violinist lost the hair on her bow all at once.

I had it once with a baroque bow which had just been re-haired, it was quite disconcerting but it amused the other violins.  The wedge at the tip came out. The person who did the re-hair was most apologetic, and said it's one reason why  bow design changed :).

Edited by Muswell

46 minutes ago, Muswell said:

I had it once with a baroque bow which had just been re-haired, it was quite disconcerting but it amused the other violins.  The wedge at the tip came out.

That can happen, but in this case,  it appears that the thread binding the hair together at the tip is no longer there.

18 hours ago, Rue said:

Well - to me that's what you should do.  Doesn't matter so much if it's a gig in a small bar, but for a larger audience?

I also have a drink once in a while, so I'm not some rabid prohibitionist - and I know drugs are part of the culture, but still - I personally have no desire to see a sloshed musician...and even less to pay to see them getting sloshed...but, each to their own! 

Tea anyone?  I've been practicing my pinky raise...

I'm more disturbed by someone not knowing who John Martyn is.