Sign in to follow this  
maria85

Painting

Apologies if this has been covered, but the search for "paint" in the forum had too many results.   I've read that the varnish and all kinds of other things affect the sound.  Is it ok for a violin to have a painting on it, or is that automatically going to make it lesser quality?  It seems like it would have a negative effect.  I did find the thread about the war decals and no one seemed to think anything on there was too high quality, but I'm confused about why someone would spend hours making a painting on it if it would lessen the value.  

There are a number of Amati instruments with paintings on, so no it doesn’t automatically make an instrument lesser quality.

The trouble with painted decoration is that many other people may not like it, or the painting may not have any connection to them, so it can limit the appeal.

Those numerous violins with (un)civil war decorations used transfers, so it was quick to apply. The violins themselves are almost always poor quality, and it was a way to try and make them seem more interesting.

There is this guy who does amazing pen and ink drawings on violins, cellos, and even the bridges. All freehand. I think that they look cool.  I'm sure that they elevate the value of the purchased in the white instrument.  Whether people play them or not, I don't know.  But why not? 

I don't think that those drawings hurt the sound at all.  Maybe he puts a clear coat on top.  Even thin paint and gold leaf like done on baroque instruments shouldn't interfere with the sound.  

But the tradition of violins is to see the wood, through a decorative, colored, varnish. Even a so so violin done this way will have a great appeal to most than a highly whimsical work of art. 

Guitars have two styles;  a very natural clear finish truly putting the wood on display, or painted with sunbursts, and that sort of thing. No one looks down on either method because they were both done pretty much from the start.

Different strokes.

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/united-kingdom/articles/when-music-and-art-collide-leonardo-frigos-incredible-painted-violins/

I think painting on violins has a very strong tendency to be seen as kitsch.

As a general rule, I believe a wonderful painting will be less  valued on a violin than on a canvas.  And a wonderful violin will be less valued with painting than without.  But there can be exceptions.

However, also as a general rule, putting a 40$ swap meet special painting on a 40$ junk violin will probably yield a 60$ curiousity item.

Opinions will vary.

21 hours ago, maria85 said:

... but I'm confused about why someone would spend hours making a painting on it if it would lessen the value.  

I've wondered about similar things too.

Tastes certainly have changed since Amati's time.  I think the painted instruments were all part of a Royal commission - way back then that likely would be considered as added value.  These instruments have historical value - so they aren't in the same league as a cheap instrument that someone doodled on, or stuck a decal on...

Now, having said that - if the Queen were to commission a quartet from Sam Z., and have Gerhard Richter doodle on them...and then have the instruments played by the Emerson String Quartet and featured at a number of high profile events, well...:)

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 8:50 AM, jacklinks said:

Is this one painted or decorated with some other method? 

Villa on Tarisio

Looks pretty cool...

Vittorio Villa uses inlay of ebony dust and glue in the time honoured way. There are some images on his website if you are interested

On 3/6/2019 at 2:52 PM, Televet said:

Vittorio Villa uses inlay of ebony dust and glue in the time honoured way. There are some images on his website if you are interested

Thank you. I will take a look. Very nice work.