Sign in to follow this  
MikeC

cheap tonewood

is there a source of cheap low quality tonewood for practice carving ?     I've been using some poplar from Lowe's but would like something closer to spruce and maple

I think the best way to learn to make a fiddle is to make a fiddle.  Most of the low grade tonewood is for cosmetic reasons so you can still end up with something that works.   

I have some high grade wood but want to practice on cheap stuff first so I don't mess up the good stuff.    Define cheap?  I don't know maybe as cheap as poplar at lowe's but cuts more like spruce and maple. 

For Spruce, buy a 2x6 from the lumber yard that is cut close to 1/4 sawn. If you pick through the pile, you can be sure to find something close.

Home improvement box stores carry poplar because it's so cheap.  Maple is there too, but will cost more, maybe $10 - $20 for enough to make a fiddle-sized piece.  

Alpenholtz-Pahler had some bargains at VSA last year... less than $30 for back, sides, and neck block.  Some of it was actually pretty good, so I got a few sets (no, I'm not offering to sell them; I'll need them for the first tests on CNC machining).

For spruce-like stuff, pine works.  If you can split and/or saw up wood, then Walmart has pine firewood that would work (I carved up a top out of it, as you  may  or may not know).

Is spruce lumber not common in the U.S?  Every lumberyard here in our corner of Canada stocks spruce lumber; it's more common than pine. Maybe that's why there was so much noise over the softwood lumber trade between Canada and the U.S. governments awhile back.

Bill,  I'm in Georgia,  all I find at Lowe's and Home Depot here is pine, poplar and oak.  

H.R.  thanks I'll take a look at International 

Mike, if you want me to pick through IVCs bottom shelf wood for you let me know.  You can send me a PM with your list and I'll drop by on my way home from work (it's on my way).  Then you can call them and handle the purchase.