Sign in to follow this  
Riodifirenze

My first violin creation!

Hello to all! I am currently the newest member here, and on the way to finish my first violin! 

2 years  of preparation,  5 and a half months  building time, made nearly all tools myself... and now... It's swaying on the clothing line "sun bathing", drying the next-to-last varnish coating! 

Some pictures of the building process:

Coming soon! 

So here the are... 

This is the back plate

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yz9Mg8HTgahZiI7mhvwznamkoQjl1StQ/view?usp=drivesdk

I forgot the button as you see :blink: therefore I needed to invent a solution. 

The ribs on the mold and the finished outside of the back,  besides the mold of my next challenge,  a inspired copy of the Stradivari Medicea tenor viola (currently work in progress) https://drive.google.com/file/d/13XsTJ3f10FYRyIU0hmJhVKbUl0SdRsKb/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1moMorOyCRlmg3cUqZh193QCaWMCj5Qhy/view?usp=drivesdk

On 2/24/2019 at 10:24 AM, Arno P. F. said:

Hello to all! I am currently the newest member here, and on the way to finish my first violin! 

2 years  of preparation,  5 and a half months  building time, made nearly all tools myself... and now... It's swaying on the clothing line "sun bathing", drying the next-to-last varnish coating! 

Some pictures of the building process:

Coming soon! 

Welcome!  GoodJob.gif.ac6c4713b3a1fee67bd18e7432b65539.gif

On 2/25/2019 at 6:22 AM, Jeff Jetson said:

Looking forward to seeing your No.1 Arno!

I'm sorta cringing...

I've learned a hell-of-a-lot since my number 1.

(Edit: The photos weren't up yet when I posted this.)

1 hour ago, David Burgess said:

I'm sorta cringing...

I've learned a hell-of-a-lot since my number 1.

And? We want pictures...where is it now? How does it sound?

1 hour ago, Rue said:

And? We want pictures...where is it now? How does it sound?

I don't know where it is now, and I don't have photos. I was thinkin' that doing so would be kind of a vanity thing,  not appropriate for a serious maker.

Quite likely, most experts would recognize it as one of mine, because certain themes tend to prevail.

You've got skill, I love it!

What does it say on the inside of your back?

What kind of woods are they?

I like the wild grain of the top.

Can't wait to see what you do with the tiny little button on the back plate!

What are you using for varnish?

Do you play?

Congratulations,, get ready for many more!

I love that it is YOURS.  No doubt about it. Very cool.

Everything about it shows that you are really thinking.  Even the fittings. Very well done.

MikeC is looking for cheap tone wood, and the belly looks like fairly well quartered pine found at a lumber yard.  It has a nice rustic look to it. The grain really pops out.  As Evan asked, I wonder what the woods are exactly.  Is that Mahogany or Luan for the back and sides?  Where did you get the wood?

I'm guessing that you are hooked now?  I ALWAYS have things I want to improve on.  

Congrats.

Ken

Looks like you have lots of creative and artistic talent. It is certainly apparent you have the inherent skills to excel in violin making. However you may find it somewhat frustrating because of the constraints required in violin making. The parameters are quite restricted and the self expression is very limited.  Being able to emulate the classic masters seems to be  the aspiration  of most contemporary makers. I'm not suggesting you have to confine yourself to that but to become recognized in today's violin making community one must acquiesce to the status quo.

The best to you;  Henry