Sign in to follow this  
Landolfi

Poggi vs Zygmuntowicz

Would like to get your opinion.  Both are modern makers with great reputation for producing excellent fiddles and are currently in Tarisio,  Which one would you pick to buy as investment?  As your instrument ? (if you are a professional musician)

If I were a professional musician I would get the one that is easier to play and sounds better, and I would include other makers (dead and alive) in the basket too.

If I were a violin collector or dealer I would take the Poggi.

Poggi for a collection.  We don't know what will happen to the price of Sam Z. violins upon his demise. Player, which ever sounds and plays the best.

I have always thought purchasing instruments as investments dangerous. The market is fickle.

That's a loaded question.

Someone might prefer the Poggi.  Someone might prefer the Sam Z.  Someone might think the Poggi or Sam Z should  sound better than the Sam Z. or the Poggi. 

Maybe one has better strings on it...maybe one sounds better when played with bow X and not bow Y...

Endless variables are a killer...

Are you looking to buy?   It’s been a while since I’ve come across one of your threads where you think you’re buying a Stradivarius or something similar.  

22 hours ago, Landolfi said:

Poggi vs Zygmuntowicz

...............investment? ...............

Sounds like a developable concept.  I know some screenwriters.  Will there be action figures, and a video game?  :huh:

...if it' turns out to be a movie...I want a copy of the DVD that actually plays...

1 hour ago, Rue said:

...if it' turns out to be a movie...I want a copy of the DVD that actually plays...

No way.  It'll be streamed... Who uses DVDs anymore? :D

The critical mind in me says 'both are overpriced and therefore don't make a good investment.', the collector's mind in me tells me take one each as investment. 

However to be realistic, for a real good investment you need to find an outstanding example.

14 hours ago, l33tplaya said:

No way.  It'll be streamed... Who uses DVDs anymore? :D

:ph34r:

I am leaning Poggi based on the feedback i have so far.   I think Poggi's market has matured and there's a group of faithful followers.    Zyg still makes violins and his body of work hasn't been completed yet.   But i think the potential is definitely there.   The only small concern i have is that he is American, and perhaps there may be some collectors who want to play or collect Italian fiddles only, and may overlook his violins.

1 hour ago, Landolfi said:

I am leaning Poggi based on the feedback i have so far.   I think Poggi's market has matured and there's a group of faithful followers.    Zyg still makes violins and his body of work hasn't been completed yet.   But i think the potential is definitely there.   The only small concern i have is that he is American, and perhaps there may be some collectors who want to play or collect Italian fiddles only, and may overlook his violins.

Your candor is delightful.  [Moves to a secure, reinforced location several grid squares away from the OP, and begins popping corn.]  :):lol:

You like #1 and #3 better because #2 was played in a horrible-sounding room.  Since it's not a fair comparison, we can't really evaluate #2. I liked the G string on #3 better than #1.

You didn't do the Zyg any favors by placing it in a practice room.  However, that main room at Tarisio would make a half size violin sound amazing.  Having played all three of those instruments, I prefer 161, but 156 is a healthier instrument and better suited to a soloist.

I like #2 just fine.  They all sound good, but #2 sounds good in spite of the room chosen.

@Manfio.   Obviously, there are many factors to consider here, but i think tonal quality plays the most important role on the profitability of the investment.  One would think that the better sound-producing fiddle would offer the best chance to appreciate in value over time.