Maestronet Forums

The Strad

MikeC

I gave up on the Strad. It was bad enough when they discontinued their posters excepting for annual subscribers, but I found that there wasn't enough content geared towards makers to hold my interest.

For a number of years Chapters / Indigo books would contact me when the latest issue arrived (6 to 12 week late) and hold the issue for me. After awhile, I told them not to bother holding them for me, as many of the issues had nothing of interest.

In addition to being an advertiser in The Strad, and an occasional contributor as well, I've had a subscription to the magazine since 1985. In this period, management and ownership of the magazine have changed hands numerous times, but I can say that subscriptions have ALWAYS been a problem. 

Right now in my inbox I have an email from customer service confirming my renewal (which required some effort on my part and it took them a month to confirm it), and a subsequent email stating that I just received my last issue. We'll see who is right, but I can see how people can get fed up and give up altogether. 

I'd really wish they could address this and fix it once and for all.

I found the peeps at subscription quite responsive and extremely helpful.  This was as recent as   1-2 years ago. Though slow - initially they took a week or two to respond,  later it was down to 48 hrs.  I found them much slower via email as opposed to voice mail. Try leaving a messsage at the toll free number.  Remind them you are EST, so they don't call too early.  

Trying to find that 800 number....Looks like that USA number doesn't exist? Try their UK number over skype? 

Update:   I got my subscription.  Strad support wasn't very helpful.  Apparently they don't deal with digital subscriptions but working with my iphone apps I was finally able to decrypt the secret sequence with a little luck.   Apple support was totally unhelpful also by the way.

And the varnish article in the Strad that prompted this in the first place was not worth it.   It's nothing more than the standard linseed oil / pine rosin varnish that we all know how to make.   cook the rosin for color,  wash the oil,  all standard stuff, nothing new.   Although the author did say that cooked rosin is not alcohol soluble which I don't believe and also said that you can add cold oil to the cold finished varnish which I think is probably a bad idea.  

If you only need occasional access to individual  articles, try the research section of your library’s website. 

My local library provides free access to EbscoHost which allows full text search of many magazines including The Strad. Your library may do the same. Using EbscoHost, I logged in and viewed a pdf of the Gilles varnish article in just a few minutes by searching for “The Strad varnish.” The Robson article from September popped up too.

The only downside is that you have to wait a few weeks after publication for new articles to appear and you can’t easily browse the entire issue. I guess they do this so as not to cannabalize the magazines’ business.

19 hours ago, MikeC said:

Update:   I got my subscription.  Strad support wasn't very helpful.  Apparently they don't deal with digital subscriptions but working with my iphone apps I was finally able to decrypt the secret sequence with a little luck.   Apple support was totally unhelpful also by the way.

And the varnish article in the Strad that prompted this in the first place was not worth it.   It's nothing more than the standard linseed oil / pine rosin varnish that we all know how to make.   cook the rosin for color,  wash the oil,  all standard stuff, nothing new.   Although the author did say that cooked rosin is not alcohol soluble which I don't believe and also said that you can add cold oil to the cold finished varnish which I think is probably a bad idea.  

Why don’t you believe? My cooked colophony is not soluble in alcohol.

19 hours ago, MikeC said:

Alcohol solubility of rosin will depend on how long, and at what temperature you cook it, and also on what other ingredients you cook it with.

On the other end, there's the time of exposure to the alcohol, what type of alcohol and the "proof", the temperature, and what you consider to be "dissolving", versus softening, or plumping up a bit from alcohol absorption.

I thought rosin would be soluble in alcohol regardless of it being cooked or not but have not tested it so I could be wrong. 

so old Cremona varnish is soluble in alcohol so does that prove they did not use highly cooked rosin?   

I live in a rural area away from big cities so no violin shops and only a small library which I have not visited.   Anyway  I've got a year subscription so it will give me something to read but on my iphone I'll have to use a microscope....  

Hold on, who just added raw, or washed linseed oil to their varnish? Nicholas Gilles? I don't believe that's a thing. I don't know anyone who believes that's a thing. Yet every piece of wood he touches turns into a gold medal, so he can't be wrong. I mean that without sarcasm. That is interesting information that I have never seen or heard of.

Barnes and Noble quit stocking copies of the Strad, and a subscription seems like a major commitment, really. The content has been inconsistent for awhile now, from what I can tell. But then I miss interesting articles that come along occasionally from esteemed contributors. I think a lot of people are at the same impasse with The Strad. Oh well.

NT  I had to read it again to make sure I'm not telling a fib. 

"It's always possible to add some cold cooked oil to the finished varnish later, to adjust the oiliness"  

So probably not something he would do normally.   Just a special case if it needs adjusting.  I still think it's not a good idea.