Kevlar.

I imagine it has less to do with the material and more with the fact that kevlar tailguts can be made thinner and are therefore more flexible.

They're more stable, too.

All will work, but I prefer Kevlar. Like Deo Lawson said, they don’t stretch the way nylon does over time. I find that the threads can also wear out and cause slippage too easily. The titanium variety work nicely but tend to cut into the saddle more; for that reason, some people that use them put pieces of plastic/rubber where they are in contact with the saddle. 

There's always gut for a tailgut.  I forget which cello string I was told to use...  The A probably.  Heat it with a match to flare the end and rap 'er with thread.

I remember the last time I went to buy a replacement cello tailgut (mine had broken) and the store no longer sold them. That's when I "discovered" the Sacconi nylon! I think it was almost 70 years ago.

The Sacconi tailcord was invented by Frank Passa, who gained his lutherie skills in the shop of Sacconi in NYC before moving to San Francisco where he set up the shop he owned for 51 years. I visited Passa at his home in Santa Rosa, CA in 2000, about a year before his death. He and his family were still producing Sacconi tailcord there. His product was far superior to competing, cheaper products ("off-brand") of the same design, which I found consistently would stretch and continue to stretch after installation. He also had stacks of pernambuco bow blanks stored in the large garage under his house, and instruments and safes that had come from his San Francisco shop that had closed the previous year.