reguz

Why arching shape?

Arching shape conditions predict the sound quality of an instrument.

My question is;  why arching shape? 

What technical secret do we understand?

1 hour ago, reguz said:

Arching shape conditions predict the sound quality of an instrument.

My question is;  why arching shape? 

What technical secret do we understand?

We know that a flat top plate on a violin would collapse

1 minute ago, Peter K-G said:

We know that a flat top plate on a violin would collapse

unless it has support bracing, and they don't predict anything, they influence things in a unpredictable way, however the more instruments one makes the more predictable the unpredictability becomes 

14 minutes ago, jezzupe said:

unless it has support bracing, and they don't predict anything, they influence things in a unpredictable way, however the more instruments one makes the more predictable the unpredictability becomes 

Explain for us why the the instrument collapse

1 minute ago, reguz said:

WHY????

Because that's what happens when you put pressure on a flat top box with flexible sides. A pyramid like top would push outwards

Just now, Peter K-G said:

Because that's what happens when you put pressure on a flat top box with flexible sides. A pyramid like top would push outwards

Just now, Peter K-G said:

You are wrong simplay because you cannot measure any downward going movement

23 minutes ago, jezzupe said:

Collapse in what sense???

The arch resists the downward pressure of the strings on the bridge as well as the lengthwise squeeze on the top and stretch on the back. Flat topped fiddles have been tried as well as just about every form of arch one can imagine. After a few centuries, a consensus has been reached about what sort of arch tends to give what sort of sound. If you want to ignore all of the experience accumulated since Andrea Amati started making violins nearly 500 years ago, feel free! Do try making a flat violin and if it works better than Stradivari or Guarneri arching, the world will make a beaten path to your door!

2 minutes ago, Michael Appleman said:

The arch resists the downward pressure of the strings on the bridge as well as the lengthwise squeeze on the top and stretch on the back. Flat topped fiddles have been tried as well as just about every form of arch one can imagine. After a few centuries, a consensus has been reached about what sort of arch tends to give what sort of sound. If you want to ignore all of the experience accumulated since Andrea Amati started making violins nearly 500 years ago, feel free! Do try making a flat violin and if it works better than Stradivari or Guarneri arching, the world will make a beaten path to your door!

You write but do not snything at all, Do you?

15 minutes ago, reguz said:

Explain for us why the the instrument collapse

Um, I assume you live in a house....the floor is plywood, yes? if so the plywood is supported by joists, if not, what do you think will happen when you put that grand piano in the middle of the room?

4 minutes ago, reguz said:

You are wrong simplay because you cannot measure any downward going movement

I'm perfectly right in the context of what I ment and by choice of words and I can prove it over and over again. You simply interpreted something completely  different from what I wrote 

Just now, jezzupe said:

Um, I assume you live in a house....the floor is plywood, yes? if so the plywood is supported by joists, if not, what do you think will happen when you put that grand piano in the middle of the room?

Just now, jezzupe said:

1 minute ago, jezzupe said:

Jezzupe, What is supportiong the floor in your explaination. Answrr on that question!!

2 minutes ago, Peter K-G said:

I'm perfectly right in the context of what I ment and by choice of words and I can prove it over and over again. You simply interpreted something completely  different from what I wrote 

Peter I asked a question but you do not give a technical answer. Give a technicalö answer,please!

1 minute ago, reguz said:

Jezzupe, What is supportiong the floor in your explaination. Answrr on that question!!

As I said, joists, which are supported usually by simpson 835 joist hangers nailed in with structural teco nails that are nailed into the rim joist.

and are you drunk or just insane? because you know if its the insane thing, that would be normal, I have found that the violin is an insanity magnet like no other object in the world.

A violin top is like the arch of a Roman bridge or the top of a catedral, it is not that Amati did it 500 years ago, the romans did the same more than 2000 years ago.

The arched top distributes the preassure to the sides without the need of other interna intermediate supporting structures. 

Do the test: put weight on a violin top and on a guitar / ukelele top and tell us which one collapses first. 

Juan Tavira

15 minutes ago, Michael Appleman said:

Michael, does the downward pressure of the strings move the center part downward. Explain why and when at what stage there arise equilibrium. The instrument does not become havier.

3 minutes ago, reguz said:

Peter I asked a question but you do not give a technical answer. Give a technicalö answer,please!

I think you need to do some reading about structural engineering

1 minute ago, Juan Tavira said:

A violin top is like the arch of a Roman bridge or the top of a catedral, it is not that Amati did it 500 years ago, the romans did the same more than 2000 years ago.

The arched top distributes the preassure to the sides without the need of other interna intermediate supporting structures. 

Do the test: put weight on a violin top and on a guitar / ukelele top and tell us which one collapses first. 

Juan Tavira

Tell us where you support the violin, please do this

8 minutes ago, Juan Tavira said:

Juan Tavira

Tell us where you support the instrument, and explain why?

9 minutes ago, Juan Tavira said:

Juan Tavira

Explain for us why you must support in order producing downward movement.