Sign in to follow this  
AliRoseCello

Help identifying cello

This is a smallish 7/8 cello that is on loan to me. I am very curious about how old it might be and of course, who the maker might be. The person who was storing this cello seems to know nothing about this cello except it’s “old”. Help appreciated!! 6D7C3A7B-195D-4BE4-8020-8C1EEBE97D6C.thumb.jpeg.1c8a24564a403ff8417246e604986018.jpeg

EDBCF7B1-179D-4D23-9706-55D9864C62AC.jpeg

FFD9439C-0BDE-418A-B947-6AE247EA6CE7.jpeg

98F450FA-FF92-4BE6-8DF0-0289A0BF96F7.jpeg

B915F03B-D7B5-4587-AF28-4E7AE5EE86A6.jpeg

8503328B-9D35-4B09-AE99-300182E812C2.jpeg

72F3EBF0-C578-4C16-A735-930DBC2C3FB1.jpeg

D7B07B1D-A2A3-40A7-A3F9-2C7003AC0D98.jpeg

71BA0619-CAD3-42D1-A69B-BB34765326B5.jpeg

E3EA48DA-46EC-4736-A72D-6B36250E4388.jpeg

402C9B85-7ECA-4488-8549-3B1DD84D928F.jpeg

626C5116-3D8E-4143-A74E-C5A34D138C73.jpeg

Edited by AliRoseCello

Looking at the corners it appears to be built on back (BOB).

Purfling very close to the edge, predominantly dark.

Most likely an instrument from Markneukirchen / Schönbach .

But I'm not an expert at all.  Not sure why more knowledgeable people haven't pitched in,

maybe because this is so common and also not of the greatest quality.

This looks difficult, maybe that's the reason nobody else has replied yet. I'm not very experienced in celli, but my thoughts are:

Though I agree it was built on the back, I'm not sure that it's from Markneukichen/Schönbach. It has nice details like the swungen Amati-like ff with neatly carved flutings and the interesting carvings at the pegbox tail. I'm not aware of the Vogtland region. The scroll has a 6 o'clock fluting and looks a bit roughly made, but not typical saxon either.

The varnish seems to be an overcoating, the bottom being of a different colour - or is it just an effect of the photo? Furthermore there's an odd horizontal structure at the central region, something like deep scratches or similar covered with the dark varnish. Given that the actual varnish isn't original, the scroll could be a later addition, too.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable in this matters might join in.

One, this cello was very poorly kept and treated. I think the varnish was also tampered with by someone who did not know how to treat it (with polish or something). 

Another point is it was kept in very humid conditions and it’s old case melted into the varnish. All very unfortunate. It sounds better than it looks.

two, my son isn’t actually a cellist (yet). Please excuse his bow hold!

5 hours ago, Blank face said:

This looks difficult, maybe that's the reason nobody else has replied yet. I'm not very experienced in celli, but my thoughts are:

Though I agree it was built on the back, I'm not sure that it's from Markneukichen/Schönbach. It has nice details like the swungen Amati-like ff with neatly carved flutings and the interesting carvings at the pegbox tail. I'm not aware of the Vogtland region. The scroll has a 6 o'clock fluting and looks a bit roughly made, but not typical saxon either.

The varnish seems to be an overcoating, the bottom being of a different colour - or is it just an effect of the photo? Furthermore there's an odd horizontal structure at the central region, something like deep scratches or similar covered with the dark varnish. Given that the actual varnish isn't original, the scroll could be a later addition, too.

Like I explained below I think someone put a substance like polish that actually melted or stripped the varnish a bit.

5 hours ago, Blank face said:

A few more of the varnish around the middle.

AE378CAA-0E28-4737-8CBE-C4725184D7AC.jpeg

04E8D47D-D950-4315-8726-4AB6C676B97F.jpeg

38A58192-5675-4C56-A5E6-CCDFC15460AA.jpeg

Edited by AliRoseCello

The varnish looks like of the soft and heavily crackeling iype we recently discussed here.

What is stunning me are these halfcircular grooves to the center joint, possibly made with a power tool, but at the bass side only?  I have no idea what to think of this. But if all this is original it might be not that old.

The person I got for cello from said “something was done to the varnish” (treated? Polished?) but not very specific about it. Again the cello wasn’t well cared for, and I am certain they made a mistake letting someone do anything to the varnish. I do know for a fact this occurre when the fingerboard was replaced more than 4 years ago. 

Edited by AliRoseCello