Sign in to follow this  
Sherman Jacobs

Hollow tone on A string?

Everything sounds great on this Amatus violin except when I play D on the A string 3rd finger.  It sounds “hollow? “Not sure if it’s a “wolf” sound as it doesnt pulsate up and down as a wolf. Any help please?

Could be a lot of things.  Have you tried posting this on The Fingerboard, where the players congregate?  :)

I suspect a "hollow" sound comes from having the note's fundamental harmonic being much higher in amplitude than the note's upper harmonic's amplitudes.  If you use Audacity software I suggest recording the played D note  and then look at its spectrum to see if this is true for your violin.

I also believe a wolf note is often the same thing but with an even higher amplitude fundamental (first harmonic).

So the advice often seen for correcting wolf notes will probably also apply for a hollow note.  I'm guessing that your violin's B1+ mode  amplitude is real high and is at or close to the D note's fundamental frequency of 587Hz.

One solution might be to use one of Ted White's tunable tailpieces and playing with its sliding weight to change its various vibration mode frequencies.  The idea is to get its vibration to couple with the violin's vibration peak to split it into two lower amplitude peaks.

Another similar suggestion is to add various weights to the A string's after length at different positions to get that length to vibrate at the 587Hz frequency.