Sign in to follow this  
mklein

CAG finger planes

While looking for some new arched finger planes I came across CAG tools' offerings at Cremona Tools. The planes look nice and get generally positive reviews and 40 EUR is reasonable but 30 EUR shipping isn't. Is there a US supplier that sells these? 

Thanks

Mike

There isn't, at least as far as I have been able to discover. That said, there is a great alternative in what are often referred to as "Bulgarian" fingerplanes. I'll post a photo of my set when I get home. 

2 hours ago, Michael_Molnar said:

Cremona Tools has a lot of things I would buy, but their shipping charges are outrageous and kill any orders from me.

Same.  Exactly the same.  Too bad because I would love to give them some business.  It's not even that their shipping is "expensive"  it's ludicrous.  I wanted to order 1 or 2 purling dremel bits from them.  Shipping was like 64 euros. 

15 hours ago, mklein said:

While looking for some new arched finger planes I came across CAG tools' offerings at Cremona Tools. The planes look nice and get generally positive reviews and 40 EUR is reasonable but 30 EUR shipping isn't. Is there a US supplier that sells these? 

Thanks

Mike

What Jackson said.  The Bulgarian ones are a great deal. 

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

2 hours ago, Joey Naeger said:

KDR music Sells them. The ones I have are great tools.

KDR Music's website doesn't list any lutherie tools that I can find (http://www.kdrmusic.com/). Is this the right "KDR Music"?

4 hours ago, JacksonMaberry said:

There isn't, at least as far as I have been able to discover. That said, there is a great alternative in what are often referred to as "Bulgarian" fingerplanes. I'll post a photo of my set when I get home. 

A couple of you have mentioned "Bulgarian" finger planes as an alternative. Is there a source you can point me to for these?

I suspect that Cremona Tools website is poorly programmed to spit out the same outrageous postal fee for each ordered item. I was interested in a poster, but the same ~€35 charge killed it for me. I am quoted the same rate for other items. If I have time, I will contact them about the American business they are losing. 

I have purchased a few things from Cremona tools.  I always found their shipment reasonable. When I’ve made a purchase it was because the same items elsewhere would have cost more even after shipping costs. I also would get what I ordered within a week. 

I don’t know about CAG planes. I bought the set of brass ones they used to carry under their own name and love them.  It could be the same company.  I don’t know. It doesn’t seem like people make good finger planes at a reasonable cost for long before they realize the economics of production and sales doesn’t work out well. 

Try to contact Krasimir Bakardjiev at

notecracker@msn.com

I am not affiliated with him in anyway but have bought more than 20 Bulgarian fingerplanes from him. Some for gifts and others for career long backups (I keep toothed blades in one set and like them for that but more importantly they are there in case one gets vacuum'd up or lost otherwise) They are nice planes for the price.

CAG planes and other tools are made by a Chinese outfit. They seem to be made to a very high standard. I have made many attempts to contact them directly, all without any success. 

Very slick website: http://www.cag-tools.com

The Bulgarian planes are not much less expensive than the CAG planes, but they are a bit, and they were shipped free. I generally prefer brass bodied tools, because they're more readily reshapable if you want. It's nice to have a few fingerplanes that are more rounded than stock for certain tasks, in my opinion, and you'd have quite a chore of that with stainless. Sorry I still haven't posted a photo of mine, possibly Tommy will beat me to the punch. 

On 2/8/2019 at 1:00 PM, mklein said:

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

KDR Music's website doesn't list any lutherie tools that I can find (http://www.kdrmusic.com/). Is this the right "KDR Music"?

A couple of you have mentioned "Bulgarian" finger planes as an alternative. Is there a source you can point me to for these?

You'll have to send him an email, but that is the right guy. I have a few of those Bulgarian planes. I believe if you do some digging on ebay, you'll find his store there. Personally, I found the irons that came with mine to be unusably soft. I had to do an awful lot of hand filing on the bodies to get them shaped nicely too. FWIW

Thanks everyone. Indeed, I received a very helpful response from kdrmusic.com. They sent me a price list for their CAG planes, which they do carry, but don't list on their website.

Also, I received a response from Krasimir Bakardjiev at notecracker@msn.com regarding his planes.

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions!