Sign in to follow this  
ClefLover

Ernst Reinhold Schmidt question

48 minutes ago, ClefLover said:

I’m now mostly unnerved by the fact that, apparently, there are two ways to legitimately spell “skeptical.”  

OTOH to split an infinitive is never legitimate.

3 hours ago, Delabo said:

Who are the dealers here ?

I know Martin Swan is.

"Reg" has got a shop but seems to sell mostly new violins. The rest seem to have small shops that do repairs and sell the occasional violin.

Any big dealers here other than Martin ?

I somehow find it quite funny to be thought of as a "big dealer". 

There are a surprising number of members here who buy and sell instruments and bows - some discuss this, some don't, but most of these people are primarily restorers or makers.

I suppose I must call myself a "dealer" since I have no other mitigating skills or qualities ...!

26 minutes ago, ClefLover said:

Maybe... maybe not.  I suppose if you value your Latin.

D7B4B15D-E70A-4B25-8ABE-CB342D1F8333.jpeg

Now I really am going to get cantankerous ...

What the hell is the "New Dictionary" anyway? Some kind of post-truth anything goes dictionary of gobbledygook cooked up by a clueless millenial with a degree in Starbucksology? 

The example is absurd - "to go boldly etc" only sounds awkward because everyone has watched Star Trek. When we first heard "to boldly go ..." we pissed ourselves, it sounded so inane.

8 minutes ago, martin swan said:

Now I really am going to get cantankerous ...

What the hell is the "New Dictionary" anyway? Some kind of post-truth anything goes dictionary of gobbledygook cooked up by a clueless millenial with a degree in Starbucksology? 

The example is absurd - "to go boldly etc" only sounds awkward because everyone has watched Star Trek. When we first heard "to boldly go ..." we pissed ourselves, it sounded so inane.

Hah... Starbucksology.  I do love you, Martin Swan. 

17 minutes ago, martin swan said:

Just don't propose a Maestronexit referendum ...

If we could agree on an unlimited backstop for elite members, why not...

German Violinmaker Ekhard Richter was the grandson of Ernst Reinhold Schmidt. He told me with huge grin that his grandfather made his workshop look in pictures  (which were engravings at that time) bigger than it really was. It was however a very productive workshop. And like in most bigger workshops we can assume that they produced in team efforts various grades of instruments.