Sign in to follow this  
Dwight Brown

This case has soul.

34 minutes ago, Dwight Brown said:

This case has soul.

Perhaps, looks like a good double case, but I wouldn't bid what they're estimating.  :)

1 hour ago, Violadamore said:

Perhaps, looks like a good double case, but I wouldn't bid what they're estimating.  :)

My either, but the two guys that owned it, Wow!

DLB

On 2/6/2019 at 6:34 PM, Violadamore said:

Looks like you should have :-)  You could have resold it for double!

17 hours ago, Rue said:

OMG.

Some people have entirely too much spare $$$.

In the late 1980s Sotheby's offered Heifetz's double case (practically identical to the Rabin case) which went for $2,000. Tarisio sold it a few years ago for $24,000. Old cases with important provenance evidently can be good investments.

7 minutes ago, Herman West said:

But there's always the risk people wake up and get real.

Then let me know when that happens so I can finally by a Strad! (and a Modigliani, I always wanted one of those too)

4 hours ago, Dimitri Musafia said:

In the late 1980s Sotheby's offered Heifetz's double case (practically identical to the Rabin case) which went for $2,000. Tarisio sold it a few years ago for $24,000. Old cases with important provenance evidently can be good investments.

I'm a firm believer in "just because you can, doesn't mean you should".

I can see paying a premium for Queen Elizabeth the Firsts handcrafted, French lace bloomers - but not for Meghan Markle's factory made Victoria's Secret unmentionables...

11 minutes ago, Rue said:

I'm a firm believer in "just because you can, doesn't mean you should".

I can see paying a premium for Queen Elizabeth the Firsts handcrafted, French lace bloomers - but not for Meghan Markle's factory made Victoria's Secret unmentionables...

I'm not sure I get your point. The cases by W.E. Hill & Sons were considered the Rolls-Royce of their day, and it should be no surprise that a vintage Rolls goes for a pretty penny these days. Same with the cases. One Hill case recently made $17,220 at auction.

And I would not consider Michael Rabin in any league with Megan Markle, but that's just my opinion….

1 hour ago, Dimitri Musafia said:

I'm not sure I get your point. The cases by W.E. Hill & Sons were considered the Rolls-Royce of their day, and it should be no surprise that a vintage Rolls goes for a pretty penny these days. Same with the cases. One Hill case recently made $17,220 at auction.

And I would not consider Michael Rabin in any league with Megan Markle, but that's just my opinion….

Okay - maybe not my finest analogy...I'm blaming it on the never-ending polar vortex we're experiencing...:ph34r:

In short, it might be a better quality case to begin with, but all I see is a used, dirty case.  

15 minutes ago, Rue said:

In short, it might be a better quality case to begin with, but all I see is a used, dirty case.  

I’m with you. It had to be purchased for its collectible value. But for the same price, you could get a top of the line modern case and have more than half your money left over.  Your modern case will probably not appreciate, but you would have a beautiful and usable case. Then you could invest the other half of the money you didn’t spend into something that might appreciate. But it’s all good. Everyone has differing objectives and that’s great.

Yes!  It's good we all have different interests and POVs!

Imagine how dull (and short) the discussion would be if we all agreed!  Just look at how popular the shoulder rest discussions are! :P

2 hours ago, Rue said:

I've seen some pretty used, dirty violins too, worth millions, quite a lot of such instruments actually, but who am I to judge.

LOL...

I'd like to think, if I had a million/s dollar violin, I'd clean it up...and then put it in a clean case...:lol: