Rimino

VARNISH POTS

Hello everyone,

does anyone have a good way to clean varnish pots?  Right now I’m trying to make Colophony linseed oil varnish right and would like to save money by using the same pot.  Thanks a lot for the help!

1 hour ago, MANFIO said:

I wash jam glass pots. In general they have a wide mouth, wich is good .

Do you use the jam glass pots to store the varnish in? Or, what do you use for cooking pots? Do you use acetone too, or another cleaner? Thanks a lot for your help

On 2/4/2019 at 10:34 PM, Rimino said:

Do you use the jam glass pots to store the varnish in? Or, what do you use for cooking pots? Do you use acetone too, or another cleaner? Thanks a lot for your help

To store the varnish. I wash them in the dish washer.

If the pot is stainless steel i used to always use caustic soda , It removed every varnish i ever made easily. Turns  the varnish into soap which can be just washed away. But if you arent experienced in using caustic chemicals maybe use something else less caustic like sodium carbonate .

All this is good advice for the original poster. On the other hand for doing a lot of varnish work it must be pointed out that nice jars can be obtained very cheaply and if time and money are part of the equation it is best to save  on labor and chemicals by treating them as disposable items

12 hours ago, David Burgess said:

A long soak in a closed container of household ammonia does it for me.

Worked easy and well.  Haven’t completely cleaned the pot for several cooks. Thanks for your help.

2 hours ago, Melvin Goldsmith said:

All this is good advice for the original poster. On the other hand for doing a lot of varnish work it must be pointed out that nice jars can be obtained very cheaply and if time and money are part of the equation it is best to save  on labor and chemicals by treating them as disposable items

Depends on whether you are using the containers for cooking or storage.

I mostly use old Popov glass vodka bottles for storage. These will not survive the cooking temperatures I use.

4 hours ago, Melvin Goldsmith said:

My wife makes fun of me because I buy condiments and other foodstuffs based on jar size and shape. :lol:

5 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

My wife makes fun of me because I buy condiments and other foodstuffs based on jar size and shape. :lol:

And that's the only reason I buy vodka. :lol:

For something that needs to be mixed or stirred, I buy baby food in those little glass containers. For cooking small batches of varnish, I use single-serve size pyrex custard bowls which are meant for oven use, since they will survive the heat. For larger batches, I use porcelain enamel coated steel pots. The custard dishes and enamel-coated pots are the ones I clean and re-use.

Supposedly, the porcelain-enamel coating on the pots will eventually develop micro-cracks from the thermal cycling, so that's something to be aware of if cooking something which will react with iron.

While we're at it, those new yogurts made by Yoplait "Oui" come in perfect little jars that are great to use as a container to hold the varnish while working with it....tiny, solid,heavy and slightly conical, helps it stay in place. Unfortunately they don't have lids for storage, but the jar has a very nice size and heft for use in application.

The wise and venerable david van zandt cooks his varnish, then pours it warm into metal paint tubes and seals them up. When it is time to varnish, he squeezes a bit out and lets a hot lightbulb heat it through a fine mesh filter onto his plate and gets to work. one of the cleanest, most elegant solutions for storage and conservation I've seen.

My cooking and storage system is similar to others. I cook in ceramic Corningware with no mishaps to date. I store large batches in Mason jars from spaghetti sauce (Classico and other brands). Working batches are in 2 or 4 oz jelly jars. No iron touches my varnish. All varnish is stored in a cool, dark cabinet.